classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electric Heater Recommendation

Machspeed
Administrator
Hey friends, I'm looking for recommendations on a ceiling mounted electric heater, hard wired for 240 volts. I have a 24x26' foot shop with a 10 ft ceiling, fully insulated with icynene foam. Best Heater I can find is King, American made but $1100 average. Don't know that I really want to spend that kind of money. Shop has a heat pump system but it's not working. I plan to have that fixed early next year.  

Last couple of days I've been checking out Amazon and reading reviews which are all over the place. All products Chinese made with little to no support if the unit goes down.  

Anyone?
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electric Heater Recommendation

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't have a recommendation on what to buy, but what not to buy.  I particularly didn't like the kerosene heater I had as it not only gave everything that kerosene smell, but it generated so much moisture that my tools rusted due to the condensation on them.  They'd get cold at night an then the moisture would set in when I fired the heater up.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Hey John,

What are the outside temps there this time of year? Just curious. 36F here today, and still no snow. We rarely have a white Christmas where we live.

Years ago, I used one of these style portable electric heaters:

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-EG4800DGP-4800W-Garage-Heater/dp/B07FPNWB23?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I don't know if it would heat your whole shop, but if it's fully insulated you might be OK. What I did at the time was make an extension cord for the heater that plugged into my 50amp welding receptacle, and I moved the heater around to wherever I was working in the garage. It worked fine for that. That garage was 24x30.

I have electric heat in my current garage, and I normally keep it at about 60F when I'm working out there, and turn it down to 50F when I'm not out there. It is an attached garage, so I can't turn the heat off completely as there are pipes and whatnot out there.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Well, it's 10 degrees right now and has been even lower the past couple of days. Crazy, but we will be seeing 50's next week, provided our weatherman has it right.

Thanks for the input, Corey. I've been looking at that brand but in a bigger unit. They, unfortunately, are not without their problems as I read through the reviews. Still looking.........
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That unit shows as delivery on Jan 5th, so you'd lose lots of time.  I'd go down to the local hardware store and see what they have available NOW.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
John, are you looking for a unit just to tide you over until spring when you can fix the heat pump?
Are you looking for something to replace it entirely?
How much power (Kwh) do you have available?

6,240 cf but what kind of temperature rise, and how quick recovery?
If you're at 10°F and wanted 50 that would only mean 40° rise and a lot would depend on how tight the door/windows are given the crazy winds most have been having this week.
You're probably looking at something 32,000 btu and ~40A...

I was always good with Dayton, because I have a Grainger account and could always get parts tomorrow, but they seem to have fallen off a cliff of late.
Still... If it only has to last a few months you can just sell it on.

I'd say at least a grand plus $300 in hardware/wiring.
But please reply with something more about what you hope to accomplish.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Hi Jim! All those questions I asked of myself before pulling the trigger on a Chinese unit off Amazon. It just kills me to buy this Chinese stuff but $300 vs $1100 for something that I'll only use occasionally just doesn't get it for me. I'm going to have the shop heat pump serviced in the spring. It's been down for several years now.

Anyway, after many hours of surfing and reading reviews and such, bought a 10,000 Watt Comfort Zone unit off Amazon, along with a 4 year warranty. I'll do the hook up.

This little venture along with the fact that the compressor on one of our home units went out lead me down some paths for doing my own HVAC work. I've got my AC guy coming this week sometime to replace the compressor, been out for about three weeks and it has been cold in my bedroom, bath and part of our living room. Compressor has been on back order. When he was out, he told me to get ready because HVAC equipment is going up, WAY UP! Said he didn't know how the common American will be able to afford it. I've got three units on my house and one on my shop. The shop is out and the one on the house that went out is relatively new. That's a good thing, as the compressor is under warranty still. But, I have to pay the service, new refrigerant, etc. The remaining two units on the house were put there in 06, so it's only a matter of time. I can buy HVAC equipment, but because I am not licensed, I cannot get refrigerant and should I do any install I get no warranty. Wondering what it would take for me to get licensed??? Anybody do this???  

Thanks for your thoughts, friends!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
10Kw seems about right for the space.
You could probably get by with 7.5 but once the slab gets cold all bets are off for maintaining temperature.

Yes, if this is only stopgap/supplemental and you're doing the install (no warranty) then there's no reason to go with a brand like Reznor or Modine.

6Ga. copper is going to sting!
If you have a 10' ceiling have you considered a dirt cheap ceiling fan to level out the thermocline?

My local supply houses won't even sell me a grille, relay or thermostat.
I realize they have to keep their books clean when it comes to refrigerants.
Maybe it's just Connecticut but it's absurd.

Crap like this is the only reason I keep my account at Grainger open.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator

ArdWrknTrk wrote
If you have a 10' ceiling have you considered a dirt cheap ceiling fan to level out the thermocline?
You're a dang smart man, Jim! Yes, I have. From what I've read heat at the floor and lower heights can be scarce with this type of heater. After I get it all hooked up, I'm going to see how it does. If that doesn't get it, I have a wall mounted fan I can direct towards the ceiling and see if that won't push the air downward.

Thanks Jim!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In my old shop (~3,000sq' block building, no insulation) I heated with a 250,000 btu Reznor gas fired unit heater, but there was a lot of stratification.
I bought a couple of really cheap (~$40)  hugger ceiling fans from that Orange Box.
I didn't have to run them fast. It made a big difference.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In our garage in the house in Ponca City I bought a used down-draft gas furnace and mounted it in the corner, raised on a 4x4 base open towards the center of the garage and the return was at the ceiling.  Turn that thing on an hour before working out there and not only was the floor warm but so were the tools and the car.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Got the heater all wired in today and was pleased with the output, remote control and all. It was a warm day though so I didn't keep in on very long. In fact, the few minutes it was on it got quite warm in there. Crazy Oklahoma weather, 2 degrees one week, then 60's the next....LOL!

Also did a little more organizing, installing some selves above my work bench. I have too much stuff!!!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Looking good!  

Hopefully you can get your heat pump back online and don't have much call for it.
Might want to wipe down the car before the heater blows that dust all over Blackie.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
https://www.thetrainingcenter.com/epa608

For the automotive all I did was take a test many moons ago.
My dad had one for the home side, I think all he did was take a test also. But that was several years ago also.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, John!  That thing worked so well it got up to 70F up here today.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Machspeed wrote
Also did a little more organizing, installing some selves above my work bench. I have too much stuff!!!
Not sure I understand what you mean?!

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
grumpin wrote
Machspeed wrote
Not sure I understand what you mean?!
Amen, Brother!  It doesn't make sense to me, either.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Your shop looks tidy, John!
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
1986F150Six wrote
Your shop looks tidy, John!
I agree!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks fellas! It's better and I'm able to find stuff again....LOL! I'm telling you, I spend a ton of time looking for stuff. Often to find something, I have to clean the shop, thus keeping me from working. One of my New years resolutions is to put tools back in there respective place after use!!!  
John