Efi delete (AOD)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Efi delete (AOD)

Waine5550
Did an Efi delete all good with the motor but having issues with the AOD.
We can't get the pressure down. Its at 50 psi. What am I missing?
Waine
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Efi delete (AOD)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What have you done to get the pressure down?  Have you adjusted the TV rod?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Waine5550
Yes. Using the lokar cable. Has all kinds of slack now. I understand it's a balance to much is as bad as not enough. It won't go past 2nd gear.
Waine
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Is the outer TV lever going all the way to the closed throttle position? The AOD has an internal "fail safe" spring in case the rod or cable come off. I assume the Lokar cable pulls on the TV lever as it usually hooks on the tail of the carburetor throttle lever. The EFI cable would have been the same way, pulling the TV lever as the throttle was opened.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
there is a funny thing about this. the factory tv cable also has a push back spring to keep the internal spring in check. without the push back spring it will come to rest where the internal spring does and then you would start pulling from there with the lokar tv cable. this would mean a situation much like you describe where you would have a very high static pressure. at idle and in the resting cable position you should have 0-5 psi on the test port at the rear of the case on the passenger side. more than that and the trans starts loading up pressure against the engine and looking for a downshift.
sorry to hear that you scrapped the efi but very glad that you got a system running .dont give up!
Reply | Threaded
|

Waine5550
Where is that spring located? And thank you. Might have to change that name?
Waine
Reply | Threaded
|

Waine5550

Is this the spring?
Waine
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Following.

I have an aod that has never worked properly in my Bronco.

I have the same issue with the high static pressure and using the lokar cable.

In my case i can get all the gears but it shifts very late and I don’t like the smell.

My transmission work is on hold till the spring - hoping you find a solution!!

Link to my posts on tv cable issues, maybe it will help, maybe not.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1982-Bronco-351-4x4-Code-name-Esperanza-tp9221p120841.html
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Waine5550
Here is the internal torsion spring in the AOD, it moves the TV shaft in the counterclockwise direction. In order to get a positive complete return to the minimum pressure, the rod needs to be pulled up and forward or the cable needs to have the lower end pulled out to find the internal stop for the TV lever.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
yes, the internal torsion spring is located at the valve body and is in direct contact with the pressure valve. the needed spring to hold it in check is part of the factory tv cable assembly. for this reason i only use factory tv cables and make my own bracket at the intake to mount the throttle and tv cables.