classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Edelbrock on a stockish 460?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Didn't need the tag shot, it is obviously a '68. The round marker lamps and the tail lights make it obvious - to me. 👍

Thanks for sharing!!!! 👌
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Tag was just because I was trying to get close.
We backed off so as to give some room.
People up in my azz when I'm trailering get on my nerves.

Looks like original paint.

Must have been '60's day at the track.
Saw a stripped out Coronet and a SS/RS Camaro on trailers as well.

> Cool!  Didn't need the tag shot, it is obviously a '68. The round marker
> lamps and the tail lights make it obvious - to me. 👍
>
> Thanks for sharing!!!!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting. That Bee doesn't have the 383 badges that at least the 69's had, and I thought the 68's should have. But I don't know.

I do agree about people getting too close while trailering. Some are just .... dumb. When pulling the 25' Sea Ray to Lake Powell one year ago right now we had someone in a little car drafting. I had extended mirrrors on and they were so close I couldn't see them. If I'd hit the brakes there's no way they could have avoid hitting the outdrive, and they had no way at all of seeing what was ahead of us to tell if I might hit the brakes. Plus, had I not been watching them come up and then disappear I wouldn't have known not to hit the brakes. 🙈

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Gary Lewis wrote
I do agree about people getting too close while trailering. Some are just .... dumb. When pulling the 25' Sea Ray to Lake Powell one year ago right now we had someone in a little car drafting. I had extended mirrrors on and they were so close I couldn't see them. If I'd hit the brakes there's no way they could have avoid hitting the outdrive, and they had no way at all of seeing what was ahead of us to tell if I might hit the brakes. Plus, had I not been watching them come up and then disappear I wouldn't have known not to hit the brakes. 🙈
Gary, it is also the responsibility of the drivers behind you to keep their distance.

I sometimes do what you describe, try to use the draft created by a land yacht I'm following. But I look at surrounding traffic, what's in front of said yacht.

And, said yachts don't slow or stop quickly, that takes time. ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They were so close there was no way they could see in front of the boat, much less my truck.  And, with brakes on both axles of the boat trailer, tied into a factory brake controller in the truck, I could set the rig down on a dime.  If I'd decided to check up and take a quick exit they'd have been impaled on the outdrive, which was tilted up and strapped straight back at them.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I've got to ask.
Does the Motorcraft choke coil act opposite of an Edelbrock choke???

They are wound in the same direction but the Motorcraft cap puts the choke on as it heats up.

I was hoping to keep everything stockish, and not add a bunch of wires, relays, and crap.

This is turning into a real pita.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The simple answer is "YES".  On my 4180C rotating the arm clockwise takes the choke off.  But on my Eddy rotating the arm counterclockwise takes the choke off.

And sorry for the late response.  But I had to grind the tops off the screws on the 4180C as it hadn't been molested, and you cannot rotate the cap w/o pulling the cap part way off due to the alignment key.  And on the Eddy I had to pull the air cleaner and find the #20 Torx driver.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just cut a slot in the cone with a Dremel cutoff disc.
Then you can use a regular screwdriver to loosen the ring on the cap

Seems to me, if the coil is wound in the same direction it should move the same way.
But once again, I'm wrong

Bill mentioned a YF cap.
Maybe the Ford OEM from a 4.9/300 would do the job for me using stator power and I can skip the wiring?
Who do I know that has I-6 parts?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David/1986F150Six has a YF.  Jim/fljab has YF's and parts - I think.

Oh yes, the slot trick.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I ordered a YF cap from eBay.
Hopefully this will get the 650 AVS fully functional.

Timing bump did seem to help a little.

Truck still seems very rich at idle even though I can't turn the screws any leaner without dropping rpm's.
Maybe when I get the choke working I can lean the idle out some more.
I need to check the timing chain for slack (though it was advancing and retarding smoothly yesterday)
Ten years..... maybe it's time for a cam and timing set?

IR thermometer doesn't show any one cylinder as dead.
May be a bad lifter, bent pushrod, or something.
I can not hear the ticking in either valve cover though.

I've never seen a burnt intake valve.
When I clean the engine again I will pull the valve covers and check for loose rockers or one that isn't fully opening.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yours has a mechanical fuel pump - right?  Rich at idle could be due to high float level caused by too much pressure.  But most mechanical pumps don't put out more than 6 psi, which is the max for an Eddy.

On the tick, is there any chance you have an exhaust leak?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes a Carter mechanical fuel pump.
The only place I could have a leak is in the thermactor crossover at the
back of the heads.
But I didn't hear anything while poking around back there with my
stethoscope.

More and more this seems like the symptoms of a timing chain.
Rich at idle, lack of power, etc.
The tick could be a bent/burnt valve.
lord knows I run it 'til it floats often enough....

A leakdown will tell more.
Without any shop or space this is difficult.

> Yours has a mechanical fuel pump - right?  Rich at idle could be due to
> high float level caused by too much pressure.  But most mechanical pumps
> don't put out more than 6 psi, which is the max for an Eddy.
>
> On the tick, is there any chance you have an exhaust leak?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Was it rich at idle before the carb swap?  And down on power as well?  Looking for cause and effect.

Yes, a leak-down will find a bent or burnt valve.  And a tick is more likely to be bent than burnt.  I take it you have a leak-down tester?  Just not a source of air?  Cooler weather should be coming, so outside might not be too bad.

Oh, and a Carter pump isn't supposed to put out too much for a Carter carb.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, it had a miss and the mileage has been getting worse and worse.

I don't have any jet or spring box to tune this carb, like I do the Holley.

Certainly the valves and vacuum need to be right before trying to set up a new carb.

Soon this hole I'm digging will be deep enough to hang myself...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have a jet, spring, and rod box and would be happy to ship it to you - if it'll work.  How 'bout you checking the manual for what jets, rods, and springs you are supposed to have and I'll then check the box to see if what it has would work.

But, you are right that the valves and vacuum need to be right before setting a carb.  And the timing chain as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, let's not get ahead of ourselves. ...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm just saying there's no need to go get a track box if this one will work - when the time comes.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Well, a Carter YF choke cap works exactly *opposite* of an Edelbrock...

Time to wire this crap up and have an idea in the morning.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops!  Just like a Holleycraft.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
**idle** in the morning.

Damn autocorrect.
 Jim,