Do we count as a car club?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Do we count as a car club?

ratdude747
Filling out a registration form for the local memorial day car show this year and I've hit a little bit of a snag that's turned into a thought experiment... does the bullnose forum count as a car club? In the sense of something I'd list as an affiliation of mine on said form.

On one hand, we don't have a mile long list of bylaws or  membership fees. But, we do have many of the other characteristics; we do charitable events (the summer show), we have window decals, and we certainly have community. But we also aren't Ford sactioned, nor do we have local chapters (although there are "car clubs" that don't either... especially for rare things!).

In all seriousness I dunno. I'm not that seasoned with large semi-formal shows like this one. I attended last year and saw vehicles like or worse than mine, but also a lot of gems, including one owned by one of my high level bosses that actually won the grand prize (he's a car guy... and actually tried to buy my bullnose once ).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Do we count as a car club?

ratdude747
Gary said "yes we are", so I listed us as "The Bullnose Bible". Proud to represent!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Sorry for the delayed response.  Tonight we had a deacons/minister/elder's meeting at church and I was the chair, so couldn't respond when you texted.

But I consider us a "car club".  And while we currently don't have local or regional chapters, with the map we can see who is nearby and join up.  For instance, a couple of guys met at a show recently, and John/Machspeed and I are meeting Saturday.

So maybe we should have chapters?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
So maybe we should have chapters?
I vote No.
I my opinion, chapterizing a club is a way of dividing it in smaller concentrated organizations, each of them going independently and reporting to the Head Office from time to time.
The goal of this kind of structure was (yep, I use the past form) to stimulate proximity and easy communication between members.  It was probably the only logical way to keep members interacting together on a regular basis.

It was before the internet and instant worldwide communication.

And, we'll... If we go the chapter way, than I'll probably be the president plus the single and only member of Quebec's one.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Agreed. We're way too small for chapters. If we had 75% of bullnose owners in our ranks, then it might make some sense.

That being said, the only members I have any routine contact with are not local! But the nearest member isn't really local either. Go figure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good points, guys.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Chapters sounds great if we have a lot of folks—but I would not divide the website that way, and we need more swag!

1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What kind of swag?  We do have the sticker, but....?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I am not going to say one way or the other (but club sounds good )

I am a member of a local car club, we / they meet once a month for dinner and go over meeting stuff.
There are dues, either per person or man / wife and you dont have to have a car or in my case truck.
We pick 1 school from 3 or 4 each year to give scollar ship to.

We are not a smaller part of a larger club / group or as said "chapter".
The other club, much larger than ours, I dont think is a chapter either and I am 99.9% sure the smaller clubs we run into at cruises and shows are not chapters.

It is asked on some sheet if you are a member of a club. Some shows hand out award for the most club members entered, we get lucky some times LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100