classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
509 messages Options
1234 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

AmericanSavage
I am new, and posted many relevant pics, etc., of my restore to date.  The cab is shot and done.  My work on the bed now commences.  I linked to the beginnings of the restore over at another site, and those links are in my first post for new members.

Here is what I am dealing with now (from yesterday):

Took yesterday off from the truck, mostly. Only seated the gasket around the back window. Waiting to put it in. It fit snug to the back glass. The people who sold me the truck gave me a smoke sliding glass back window with the gasket. Another selling point.

But I was beat tired after three days of prep and shoot.

Today? The rear of the bed. I finally started to tackle that. Cut out the rust—actually is was mostly bondo filled over a 3x6” hole on pass side. I mean I get as FuzzFace2 pointed out that time is money, but seriously? Bondo over that big a hole?  

Expect to weld first piece in tomorrow. I also started to put some pieces back IN the cab today, and am thinking about the radio I need to buy and a dual dash speaker. Speakers for doors came today. So labeled the wires for that and routed the speaker wire to their point. Also fixed the light above ash tray. Pics follow for rear lower bed:

1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Diary of a Restore (Thread)

AmericanSavage
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Subscribed!  That is a lot of Bondo.  What were they thinking?

Glad you are doing it right.  I'm following along.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My truck had probably even more Bondo than that in the same spot.
It was folded and rotten!  

I was really impressed by how well the Tabco repair panel fit when I painted it last year.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Atlas75
In reply to this post by AmericanSavage
Also subscribed!  I am also working on a 1980 F350 4x4 and it seems to have rust in all the same places as yours.  I saw your photos over in the new members area and it gives me hope after seeing your A pillar repair that it can be saved.

I have been focusing on mechanical and drivability projects thus far but body work will be in my future.

I ordered a Marti report for my truck as well (it is posted in my project thread) and I learned quite a bit about it…including the original paint color.  I also found my paint color on the buck tag under the hood.  On my truck it was located on the firewall dead center at the top.  It is a metal tag usually screwed in.  It could have been removed during the repaint though, and not reinstalled.
Carl

1980 F-350 4X4; 400 C6; Dana 61 rear, Dana 50 TTB front
1984 F-250 4X4; 6.9L T19; Dana 70 rear, Dana 44 TTB front
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
This post was updated on .
Hi Carl,

Thank you!  Here is an additional pic of the single piece I fashioned.  I tried several ways to make it, but the single top piece fit better and looked better.  I scored the sheet metal along matching the line of the truck in two areas to bend it better and on a curve.  It astonishingly (to me) worked!  Here it is spot welded in:

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Update:

We are under flood watch this morning so bed work is delayed, but from 2 days ago, here is one piece stitched in—I am not the best at welding, but my experience with the flux welder makes me have great desire to purchase a MIG in the future—after we move one day and I build my workshop.  You can see one place I accidentally burnt a hole.  ARGH!! I will back plate that area for mud.  

Still, this is way better than when I started.  It has been a learning experience all the way around. 

The 2nd photo is my start to fitting pieces inside the bed.

The 3rd photo is my bench seat, which is not original—looks like 87+ to me!

I have my MARTI report now.   Saving that for another post.

Cheers!

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Once again, did not take all my photos—here are the other 2:

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'd say the seat is 87+.  But it might be quite handy with the fold down arm rest.  

And I can't fault the welding as I'm probably not any better, although I do use shielding gas instead of flux.

Stay safe in the flooding.  We are in a drought and will hit 110F in a few days.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Hi Gary,

The truck has been through a lot, it is clear.  I will have more to write about that.

My question in the beginning was always the paint scheme—the original.  As I sanded carefully the exterior, the red in the photoes was over all those bondo holes.  The scheme was this, always, everywhere, top to bottom, front to back:  Red>Primer>Sand 6D> primer> Metal.

What I found out from Marti has me reeling a bit. It says my original scheme was solid 2K.

That means I should see this:  Red>primer>2K>primer>metal.  I do not see that.  I do NOT question the MARTI.  I believe them because my cab is exactly as they stated it should be.  However, I painted to Ford 6D based on my sanding of the levels—which I and my wife (which shocked me) loves.  I am not changing it.

So, my question is, how did Ford paint from the factory in 1979 for 80s models?  In other words, what did they DO, and what paint did they use?  

I think I am the one missing something here.

By all intents and purposes I should find 3 levels here.  I do not understand why I see a sand color (that is glossy) underneath the after market red that was on it.

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know.  I don't have any info that I'm aware of that shows how they were painted.  If I do I hope someone will point it out to me.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are some documentary films of the Bullnose assembly lines that were shared here on the forum.

I forget when and where, but perhaps a search for archival footage on YouTube might turn something up?

I don't really think Ford was using 2K back when these trucks were built.
I do remember seeing the bucked bodies getting a full dip in a vat of primer.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the response.  I will look for the videos you mention.  

2K is the paint code, so, that means my truck according to the Marti was painted 2K or Candy Apple Red (if you look at Gary’s uploaded paint chips for the year 2K = CA Red).  I believe it, but, I just see no evidence for it on the truck.  Which means, I am convinced it is me who is missing something.  One thing is for sure, everywhere I look, I see what seems to be 6D under the after market red on it when bought, and it appears glossy.  

I might try another section today with a finer grit sand paper to reveal the 2k levels.  Here is a pic of the bed latch that revealed the 6D (below).  The present red color was painted over the latches, and all that bondo.  (see below for pic)

In the Cab, I find RED, and when I sanded the paint, it goes from Red to bare metal—no primer looking paint before the bare metal, which is also odd.  But, the interior cab suggests that outside was not 6D as @Fuzzface2 noted to me some time ago.  He was correct.  What is odd to me is that I do not find primer in the cab, so my question of how they painted the trucks comes up as a curiosity.  

OK, cheers.  Hope all that made sense.

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
. Oh that's embarrassing.

My color code is 2E (light canyon red) so I should have considered that 2K was a candy color....

It's interesting that you found tan under the latches if the truck was not two tone from the factory.
Have you looked for a buck tag on the firewall or the front of the bed, facing the cab?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Hey Jim,

I looked for that tag today, and NADA.  If I had one, I do not see it or it was removed.  I checked the inside fenders too.  Nothing.

Here is my post for today:  

The Marti Report came in and as @FuzzFace2 and @Franklin2  suspected, my original color was red.  Marti Report snip is pic one.  

Pic #2 is my using a fine grit sandpaper.  Here I confirmed the Marti (I never doubted it).  What you see is this:  recent Red>primer>2K>primer>what looks to be 6D>primer>bare metal.  Needless to say, I love the 6D so much, I am keeping it, but that presents issues with the interior, which, I bet in stock trucks with 6D outer, was SADDLE.  So, lots of thinking to do.

Pic #3 is the bed work from today.  Nearly got one side done.  I decided to overlap the inner curved panel and not butt-weld it.  I wanted more strength, and I could get under the bed, and weld from the other side.  I am not sure this adds more strength, but it did give me wiggle room to maneuver the large piece.  It also wraps around the replaced floor panel, and I plug welded both pieces together.  But, to be honest, some of my plugs did not take very well.  So, more work on that tomorrow.

Bed comes up tomorrow so I can replace the gas hose, then if all goes well, the rest of the inner bed work, and then, heating up the new bed floor section with a whack on the carriage bolts to form the square.  Bed will be bolted with new bolts and not come off before the shoot.

Cheers!

​​​​​
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Pic 2:

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Pic 3—I must be doing something wrong with the images!

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I see the images just fine.  But what do you think isn't working?

Anyway, you seem to have gotten to the bottom, literally, of the paint question.  But you seem to be questioning what to do inside the cab.  Why not use the same paint?

And when you are on FTE tell Franklin2 hello for me.  

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
I usually post all three images in a single post.  When I post, I only see one of them.  Are you seeing them all in one post?  If so, I will delete.

Thanks Gary for the feedback.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
1234 ... 26