Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Diary of a Restore (Thread)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it does look good.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by AmericanSavage
I'm not sure what you adjusted to get some things to line up for reassembly. I avoid adjusting anything or taking too much loose if possible. the box "should" drop right into the old spot with little adjustment necessary. there are times when jacking a corner off the ground to allow you more leverage on parts can help but if needed, take something loose that will self-center again like a tie rod to not change the setup.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
mat in tn wrote
I'm not sure what you adjusted to get some things to line up for reassembly. I avoid adjusting anything or taking too much loose if possible. the box "should" drop right into the old spot with little adjustment necessary. there are times when jacking a corner off the ground to allow you more leverage on parts can help but if needed, take something loose that will self-center again like a tie rod to not change the setup.
The problem was the Pittman would not angle enough to get on the box with everything connected.  So, I disconnected the d-side tie rod from the drag link.  I put on the Pittman, and then the drag link—all lined up perfect.  The d-sid tie rod was about a ¼” off moved to the inside.  

NOTHING was changed on my end.  So, I moved the wheel a skosh out and it went in.  

All the ball joints are quite tight.

I am still puzzled by it.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
so long as it all goes back nice and snug then it's up to the road test to find an alignment issue. some will say to have an alignment done after any front-end work. not a bad plan at all. I always do my own and I probably check mine more than most. I always watch tire patterns too.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
mat in tn wrote
so long as it all goes back nice and snug then it's up to the road test to find an alignment issue. some will say to have an alignment done after any front-end work. not a bad plan at all. I always do my own and I probably check mine more than most. I always watch tire patterns too.
Thank you!  

You know it is a pickle to find anyone who will line up the truck—finally found someone with the skill to do it about 20 miles away—the rest will not touch it.  “Too Old”

I plan on getting new tires, and definitely getting it to someone for a line up.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
UPDATE:  

After some excellent help from Gary (who called Tmeyer!) and others on the board (thanks Matt in TN!), I decided to keep the roller—though I did NOT install it this time around.  I really needed to get the truck running and out of the garage.  It had been sitting a month.  Why would I keep it after putting it all back together?  Because, I have a feeling I will be pulling the motor at some point.  When that happens, I will have a roller ready to go.

I am glad I went through this experience, because it seems all the techs are wrong about the inability to use a 2 piece eccentric.  Gary, thank you for your diligence in all this and helping to resolve a question.

OK, so I replaced the timing cover, the water pump, the power steering, and added a Borgeson, and a new Steering gear box.  

Gear Box/Borgeson:  WOW.  the steering is TIGHT.  Both the Blue Top and the Borgeson are great upgrades for our trucks.  I had to cut a foot off the Borgeson.  But the instructions and drilling the new hole was easy.  I had all that installed in less than a day.  The hard part was getting the linkage all back together. And the driver wheel crept inward—likely because of the wheel chock I have surmised.  It pushed the tire in slightly.  After separating all the linkage from the drag link, and adding new dust boots, the pitman went on with ease.  Steering is fabulous now.

Pwr Str Pump:  I went with a NEW Lares.  It actually is a fabulous pump for a c2.  No sound, no whine.  Highly recommend this route.  Never will I buy reman again—or I may Saginaw swap at a later date.

Water Pump:  Bought non descript pump from part house locally.  So far so good—works geart and NO LEAKS!

Timing Cover:  The issue I started a new thread on and that went into other issues surrounding it (the roller for example) was a stripped thread.  I ended up ordering a new cover from Summit.  A few observations—1) the summit cover is thicker overall by about a 1/16th of an inch from OEM.  2) The bottom channel is wider than OEM.  The ridges on the channel are shallower than OEM by about an 1/8th each side, which made getting it on easier because it was not hanging up on the block and allowed for a little wiggle room to press the gasket into the space.  I worried about this causing leaks because the fit was not as tight on the bottom from OEM.  A little ultra black rtv was applied (small amount) and High tack rtv to secure the front gasket inside the groove at the bottom for install.  Grey Right Stuff was applied to the gaskets.  And, so far, NO LEAKS!

I have to clean up the original cover, some rust and build up is evident—then I will weld new nuts on for a spare cover.  I checked the clearance, it should work with the addition of nuts to the inside.  

Also:  while I was there, I changed the fuel pump.  Glad I did.  I think the other one was failing—it was not keeping my fuel line filter full all the times, and now, it seems I have more pressure as the filter remains all full all the time.

Getting on the harmonic balancer was a snap because I heated it up in the oven to 170—I could push it half way on with ease, and then pressed the rest of the distance.  Using hot and cold on metal parts is most excellent—heat to expand; cold to shrink.

Up Next?  Well sitting for a month did something to my rear drum brakes—I have a pass side brake that is sticking and not disengaging when I pop the parking brake OFF.  I drove it around the block and felt the drums when I stopped—pass side was HOT—D side was cool.  So, I have a drum shoe not disengaging.  The brakes are supposed to be new.  I know the brake lines are all new. I assume it could be the park brake cables in the back, but they look relatively new too. So, I am going to have to pop the drums off to check.  Who knows what I will find next.

It’s always something.  

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's not uncommon for a parking brake cable to hang up.
When you have the drum off make sure you can move the cable from the equalizer end and the integral spring returns it.

If you have to remove the cable from the backing plate I find the easiest way to disengage the tabs is to force a tight fitting box end wrench over the retainer spurs and wiggle it out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good news, all the way around. Well done!  

Glad the Blue Top box helped tighten things up. I’m going to have to do that with Big Blue. His rebuilt box has too much slop, and with the wind we had today I had to stay right with it to keep it in the lane.

Anyway, congratulations!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Gary Lewis wrote
Good news, all the way around. Well done!  

Glad the Blue Top box helped tighten things up. I’m going to have to do that with Big Blue. His rebuilt box has too much slop, and with the wind we had today I had to stay right with it to keep it in the lane.

Anyway, congratulations!
Hey Gary—do you mean you had Blue Top rebuild a box and it was still not tight enough?  

I cannot say enough how much I love the Blue Top/Borgeson set up.  Really like night and day.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I have a rebuilt box the previous owner put on, and it has slack. I want to try a BlueTop as I think that will fix it.

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Gary Lewis wrote
No, I have a rebuilt box the previous owner put on, and it has slack. I want to try a BlueTop as I think that will fix it.
I cannot sing their praises enough right now.  Steering does not wander at all--I believe the Borgeson also helped out with that, but both are supreme together.  

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I already have the Borgeson shaft, and literally everything else in the steering system is new.  But not the steering box.  Sounds like it is time for a Blue Top.

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Small Update:  

I am waiting on rear park brake cables to arrive.  Rear pass is sticking, and so, will be changing out at least that cable.  I wiggled it the other day and heard the brake release.  So, when that arrives, at least I will change out the cable—got new bearings/seals on hand, etc., just in case as well.

In the meantime, I picked up wheel arch/opening trim/molding a while back.  I know some do not like them—they trap moisture and contribute to rust.  I debated on putting them on, but I can tell from the holes, some trim at some point was on the truck.  I suspect the OEM “bright" anodized aluminum.  

I got mine from BG.  They fit better on the rear than the front, which seems a bit long, but otherwise, fit well without modification.

I am not sure this will work, but, in order to combat the valid complaints of the trim contributing to rust, I lined the inside (not the part where the screws go through) with a closed cell, 1” wide 1/8 thick foam.  I used a bit of this on the plenum during the partial tear down body work to seal up certain spots what had no foam left (disintegrated).  Sticky on one side only, but does a great job of sealing.  I will monitor to see IF that works.

I only had enough foam for the fronts.  Rears go on next week when more foam arrives.  Here is an example:

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those look great!  I really like them.  Dad's truck had them and there wasn't any rust behind them.  But I like your idea to keep moisture out.  

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Gary Lewis wrote
Those look great!  I really like them.  Dad's truck had them and there wasn't any rust behind them.  But I like your idea to keep moisture out.  

Hi Gary,

Thanks!  I like it too.  It breaks up the single paint “monotony.”  Good to hear about your experience with your wheel opening trim!

Were these included on Ford trucks with a single paint color?  I remember reading something to that effect somewhere, but really do not know.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not seen anything in the documentation that limited them to any paint scheme.  They were on Dad's truck from the factory, and his was Maroon with a Cherry Red top.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jon M
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but do you have an item name or link for that radio. at this point you must have it working, do you like it?
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Jon M wrote
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but do you have an item name or link for that radio. at this point you must have it working, do you like it?
Hey Jon—I sure do!

It is Classic Car Stereos—here is a link:

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/ford-radios.html

It works fabulous.  

I would, however, redo the speaker selection I have.  I know there’s a modification one can do to put 5x7 or 6x8 behind the seat grafted into a later model Ford truck molding that goes from the floor to the liner in each corner.  

I might have done that instead of the door + stereo single speaker in the dash.

But than that about the speakers, the radios are great.  Highy recommend.  Come bluetooth capable, and with lots of options to hook in Sirius, or Ipod.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I too went that way.

Sent my original radio, they modified it with the Aurora kit and sent me back.

Hands free, USB, Bluetooth.

Same vintage look and feel, but modern features.

I even could plug a sub-woofer (with a pre-amp), but did not installed one yet...  These trucks are not very "quiet", so I'm not sure about the result, if it is worth it.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
BigBrother-84 wrote
I too went that way.

Sent my original radio, they modified it with the Aurora kit and sent me back.

Hands free, USB, Bluetooth.

Same vintage look and feel, but modern features.

I even could plug a sub-woofer (with a pre-amp), but did not installed one yet...  These trucks are not very "quiet", so I'm not sure about the result, if it is worth it.

I forgot about that but yes, Mine has that output for a sub too.  Really fabulous radios that LOOK like they belong there in period.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
1 ... 891011121314 ... 26