classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
138 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

ratdude747

Bummer... I'm ok but looks like if my make the show, it will be in the ranger!

Will get better pics in the morning. Radiator, condenser, and most of the front sheet metal is a loss.

Anybody want a good parts truck? Recently redone interior and rebuilt 300. Not sure if it's worth fixing.

I feel sick... I'm ok, but the project before this truck, a 2004:Saab 9-5 met a similar end. I was hurt though... It also was recently finished with a new catback.

Well this sucks...
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry, that is AWFUL!  I am so sorry!  

Glad you are ok, but that has to be a gut-punch.  All that work, and money, that you've put into it.

I hope in the morning things don't look so bad.  And I do hope you'll come to the show in the Ranger anyway.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
That's a real bummer and one of my biggest worries when I drive through rural areas. It's actually why I put a big thick steel bumper on the front of my daily, as I've had way too many close calls with dumb deer.

I'm with Gary, hopefully it looks better in the morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It isn’t just the front. Three years ago one ran into the side of Blue.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
As long as I don't get booed for bringing a "worthless" rotted out ranger, of course I'll make the trip. It gets better mpg at least... Just rusted beyond economical repair!

It is a gut punch... Worse in that it's happened twice!

That was the 2004 Saab 9-5 the bullnose replaced in my project fleet. Only instead of 2 years, it was 2 months. Made 400 on the insurance payout , but lost 700 due to not covered medical bills.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Riding home in my mom's kia... About nailed another one. 5 feet away.

Wow... I might need new boxers here..  I'll be doing good to make it home...
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Made it home an hour and a half ago. As did the truck.

Good night... Stupid deer!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Man, sorry! But as said glad your ok.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
So sorry, Larry. What a stinking bummer. As the others stated, glad you're okay.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The Ranger is a Ford.  And for one show David/1986F150Six had to turn back when his truck developed oiling problems and he and his wife brought their Aztec.  So on one is going to boo you here.

Just glad you made it home safely.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
ratdude747 wrote
As long as I don't get booed for bringing a "worthless" rotted out ranger, of course I'll make the trip. It gets better mpg at least... Just rusted beyond economical repair!
I own two Rangers currently, and have owned three total. And I think there are a few others here who also own Rangers. Definitely no boos from this crowd.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
That sucks, its a big reason why I added the grill guard for some kind of protection even if its only bolted to the bumper mounts.  Its also a big reason why I am thinking of getting a roll bar for my bed to mount more lights on.  Lots of the country people Ive spoken to stated if you have spot lights that shine along the tree line along the road it will typically stop deer from getting out in the street or if they are out in the street will give you more time to react and stop.

Ive seen way too many nice vehicles taken out by deer that I am actively thinking on ways to lessen my chances.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Man that hurts
Being you have it at home you can let it sit a bit and for you to get your wits back together.
It may take a week or 3 but when ready then dig into to it.

From the looks of it it was hit high, frame not bent so it's all sheet metal work.
That all unbolts and bolts back on.
Maybe some one has the parts and will bring them to the show?

Good luck
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
FuzzFace2 wrote
From the looks of it it was hit high, frame not bent so it's all sheet metal work.
That all unbolts and bolts back on.
Maybe some one has the parts and will bring them to the show?

Good luck
Dave ----
That's a good idea, Dave! I've got a grille and headlight surrounds that I recently pulled off my truck.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry/ratdude - Get us a list of needed parts and lets see what we can do for you.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
I’ll agree with Dave, looks like it could be a front-end job.

Back in my younger days I had a ’54 Olds where it was hit in the front left fender while I was moving slowly but the impact pushed the other car back. The driver still had their foot on the gas and hit me again in the rear fender. I picked up a whole front end from a wrecking yard and changed it out in a parking space on a side street where we lived. The good part was that I found some loose body bolts and missing shims between the frame and the old sheetmetal so replaced the shims. End result was a totally tight body with no squeaks or rattles. With the insurance money from the other driver, the rear fender was straightened and the car got a new paint job that replaced the old oxidized paint, and I pocketed some cash. Sometimes it can work out.

One would need to check for other damage, say, where the fender mushed into the firewall, for example. The front "Purdu" bumper looks like it might be okay, if that is just a bit of reflection on the right side of the picture.

'54 Olds with '56 engine, B&M hydro, and dual steel packs:
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Well then... I have a rough parts list. But first some pics:

A lot of deer blood to go around:

Something happened on the passenger side as well, the door is now hanging up on the fender:

I don't remember this dent being in the passenger side either:

Pulled off the grille... lots of pretzeled sheet metal:

The good news: No wiring damage as far as I can tell. Engine, bumper, and frame survived.

What for sure is needed:

Driver's side fender, inner and outer (And Aluminum trim if I'm not able to straighten out the old trim). Possibly a splash shield/fender liner.

Radiator support (and any related sheet metal), radiator, and condenser. Fan shroud too. (and a new reciever/drier, obviously).

Power steering belt and Overflow hose (I can just use equivalent tubing I assume?). They met up and sheredded eachother in spectacular fashion.

Grille and all front trim. Passenger side headlight mount, turn signal, and marker light

Hood.

Possibly things on the passenger side depending on what I figure out caused the door and outer fender to smack together.

The fender trim is going to be the real pain (as is the related 2-tone paint to match, lovely). I hate body work... which is ironic, since my job is literally engineering equipment that mass produces body parts (for Toyota).

On an unrelated note I noticed I'm starting to get rust issues with the cab corners... nothing obvious, but the cab (like the bed) isn't exactly "cherry" either. Still worth fixing? Probably? Unless I found something silly like a period correct Lariat roller or the like... The only stuff really of value here is the headliner, door panels, exhaust, and drivetrain... the rest is OK if not wrecked. Mostly rust free though!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - I'll look tomorrow, but I might have some of these pieces such as the driver's fender and hood.

I do have the radiator support that came on Big Blue that  cut a hole in.  You might be able to use it the way it is or patch it if you wanted.

Anyway, I'll look tomorrow and see what I can find.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I've got the grille and headlight surrounds and will bring them.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
The right side door & fender hitting each other is from the radiator support being pushed over to that side from the hit on the left side and most likely pushed back a little too.

You can look at the fender mounting bolts up by the hinge and see if it has moved back but till you get a good support on it that fender cant really be set where it needs to be.
Yes save the moldings as you may not be able to find them with out a good hunt.

On the door dent when was the last time you look at that side?
I dont see how that could be from the deer kill even if you drove over it.

I also hate body work but replacing the parts like you need to do I dont call body work.
Its the sanding of body filler and mostly the dust from it I hate.
The dust gets every where, ears, nose / moth & eyes and it does make it pass a mask!

Little by little and before you know it it will be on the road again.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
1234 ... 7