classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Darth Vader

85lebaront2
Administrator
Well, I know most of you so far, Thanks Gary for setting this up.

For those of you who don't know Darth Vader is the name my son and a group of his friends tagged it with. Originally black with silver and red sides (custom job for the original owners), from the front, the Lund visor and grille guard made it look like Darth Vader.

I am 71 years old as of May 6 this year and retired from a career breaking things (at least the last 30 years), I worked in the auto repair business both for myself and others, including a Dodge, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, MG, and Dodge import dealership. My business was Preston Carburetion in Newport News VA and we were a Holley service center, but also carried Carter, Stromberg and Rochester. We did tune-up, carburetor repairs and performance work. I also worked on SU, Zenith Stromberg, Hitachi, Aisan, Kehin, Nikki and Weber carbs.

I do not have a college degree, but my supervisor at Huntington Ingalls Newport News Shipbuilding told me that Tom Timberlake and myself were the best non-degreed engineers he had ever met.

As for Darth, he is a 1986 F-350, crew cab dual rear wheel pickup with a 460, originally carbureted and C6, now MAF/SEFI E4OD. Fuel economy ranges from 10 - 12.5 mpg depending on driving. Engine controls are via a reflashed EEC-V computer. Interior has been updated to a 1996 dash, steering column and a pair of Lincoln Continental 10 way power buckets. I have also added a remote keyless entry system with the door mounted number pad.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Darth Vader

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Bill!  Sure glad you are here.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

fljab
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Wow, I've seen your posts on FTE but didn't know your background.  I take it you ran the carb shop on the side, but main job was @ NNS?  I was going to apply there back in the 80s (read my intro), but decided to come south instead.  I was an Outside Machinist, or Marine Machinist depending on the shipyard.  I also had jobs as pipefitter here and there.  

You know how it is in shipyards (or at least my experience), you're either working 7-12s, or laid off.  I jumped around a lot in San Diego and it paid to have a good reputation as people would tell you where it was picking up at a different area yard when your main job was laying off.  In Norfolk, I worked for Marine Hydraulics and did mostly pierside work on NOB.  After I moved down here, the big boss @ MH called down and wanted to know when I was coming back.

Jim
Mims, FL

'81 F100 2wd 300 Srod "Festus"
'85 F150 Supercab 4x4 351 C6 "big Whitey"
'85 F150 4x4 300 NP435 parts truck
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Now you see why I wanted this part of the forum.    We all have backgrounds, and it certainly helps to know the other guy's history.  That gives them credibility as well as the feeling of being a friend.

In Bill's case his background means he's the most qualified person around on carbs.  But I'll still argue with him about Holleys and Carterbrocks.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by fljab
No, the carb shop, Preston Carburetion, was a full time business from around 1971-1978 when my father, who was the backer for buying it from Fred Pennington, decided it was a losing proposition (I won't go into all the details, but he didn't know what he was getting into). After 1978, I worked at a dealership then in 1982 went back to NNS and retired from there in Nov 2011 (effective date 1 Dec 2011).

As for carburetors, I have worked on all kinds of them, from the most simple of all, the SU, to some better left unbuilt, like the Motorcraft 4300D. I have had Carter, Rochester, Stromberg, Autolite/Motorcraft and Holleys on my vehicles, some of which some people have never seen, like a Rochester RC, H and HV, Autolite in-line 850 CFM, Solex 3 barrel in side draft and downdraft versions, Weber IDA and DCOE, along with the Holley-Webers on Pintos and Vegas.

Gary doesn't like Holleys because he doesn't understand them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Since I added something on my signature, I guess an explanation is in order. LOBO is what a Canadian friend tagged me, Lord Of the Blue Oval as I have had mostly Fords with the exception of a few GM products and Chryslers, one independent (Packard) and some imports.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  I'll quickly forget what LOBO stands for, but it is cool nonetheless.