Custom Air Cleaner Decals

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Custom Air Cleaner Decals

JimJam300
I hope that the "Projects" section encompasses non-vehicle, but Bullnose-related projects.

I have set out to make some "factory-look" Ford air cleaner decals for me and other inline six owners who are saddened by the lack of such a product online. I hope to make several versions spanning from the 60s to 80s emulating V8 decals, including high performance ones. I might end up doing ones for V8s and diesels if there's enough demand.

So far I have a prototype I made for myself that's based off a "5.8 Liter H.O." ring decal.

Since I could not find a similar font to what Ford used, I used a free-commercial-use font called "Toxigenesis". If you have nothing to compare it to, nobody will be able to tell the difference.

I should be able to do many decals and different color combinations with whatever text the customer likes. The price will be mostly materials and shipping, I'm much more interested in getting experience than turning a profit on a low-volume product.

However, I need measurements and images (top-down would be perfect) of factory air cleaners to get it right. So if you are interested in contributing or even purchasing a decal, I would love the help!
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Custom Air Cleaner Decals

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The R's are different....  😉

Back at FTE I found neue Helvetica 93 black extended when Gary had planned to carburate Dad's Truck.
I don't know if he has that air cleaner documented over here, but I'm sure he has the files on his home computer.

That's really nice work!
You 300 guys should get some love for engine compartment embellishments.

Now if I could only replicate my emissions compliance and vacuum routing stickers..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by JimJam300
Ahh cool. I replied to you on Instagram about these.

I wanted a 4.9 H.O. decal for my 1980 F150 with 300, but I didn't have the truck all that long.

I want to get one for my current project that says Mercury 5.0 4V H.O. or something like that. Only problem is, I haven't purchased the air cleaner yet so I don't even know what it will be. AS soon as I figure out what air cleaner I'm going with, I'll reach out to you.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yes, certainly Projects is the place for this.

And while I don't have the files quickly available I think the thread back on FTE on Dad's Air Cleaner should suffice.  Start here.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim. I was able to order a replacement vacuum sticker for Darth from the dealer.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's good to know Bill.  

I think I have some pics of mine somewhere. At least I do know the VIN.
The heavy duty emissions non-compliance sticker would be good to have as well.
I've changed both my hood and radiator support, so none of these exist.
At least I haven't had to change out the door striker post with the vin, build and weight ratings.

Cory, your ideas for an air cleaner decal look sharp!  
The Mercury branded trucks did too.
Of course they are much more novel here below the border.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Cory, your ideas for an air cleaner decal look sharp!  
The Mercury branded trucks did too.
Of course they are much more novel here below the border.
Jim, I wanted to make the little 5.0 look like it belongs in there...not really of course, but sort of. Enough to make people ask questions on car night lol. Problem is, when I went on the hunt for Mercury branded engine stuff, it is super obscure. After the early to mid 60's or so, it seems like most Mercury vehicles had Ford badging under the hood. Cars like the Foxbody Capri's only said Mercury on the outside if they said it at all. The air cleaner decals I think are from early Cougars.

I want to do something with the valve covers also, but that would have to be custom. You can buy expensive adapters to run Y? block valve covers on a SBF, but with the adapters costing several hundred, and rare Mercury valve covers costing several more hundred, that idea fizzled out fast. Mercury stamped covers would look really cool on the 5.0 in my truck, but it ain't happening.

I'd like to do something like the below with high temp decals.

For the time being, I'd settle for a factory looking Mercury 5.0 decal for the air cleaner. I think that would be neat enough.

I see the guys in the US online commenting about how rare the Mercury pickups are. It's funny, because they're actually pretty common here. If you go to a car show around here, of all the 1948-1968 pickups, half of them will be Mercs. I bet there's a half a dozen of them within a 30 mile radius of me just in the 1948-1952 body style like mine. The story behind them being branded is interesting, but it makes sense if you understand just how sparsely populated Canada was back in those days. I seem to recall reading that the Merc pickups only came with V8's, but I don't know if that is true. Maybe for certain generations, like my own.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The Cougar air cleaner is a gem but those embossed valve covers are awesome!  😍

I'd be tempted to price having the lettering plasma or waterjetted, to solder or even bond onto factory tin after softening the edges with a flap disc or something.

I've totally hijacked the inline-6 valve cover decals.  😔
Love to see some ideas for teardrop style air cleaners!

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Thanks for identifying a closer font. The numbers look almost exact. The r is still wrong! I think it'll be well worth the money.

At one point I was searching for "Mustang 5.0 font", "Foxbody font" because in my mind it seemed pretty close.

Rembrant wrote
I see the guys in the US online commenting about how rare the Mercury pickups are. It's funny, because they're actually pretty common here. If you go to a car show around here, of all the 1948-1968 pickups, half of them will be Mercs. I bet there's a half a dozen of them within a 30 mile radius of me just in the 1948-1952 body style like mine. The story behind them being branded is interesting, but it makes sense if you understand just how sparsely populated Canada was back in those days. I seem to recall reading that the Merc pickups only came with V8's, but I don't know if that is true. Maybe for certain generations, like my own.
I've seen maybe one Merc truck. Ever.

This video is the extent of my knowledge on the subject of Canadian Ford/Mercury (I would embed if I weren't on mobile):
https://youtu.be/EzgEOh4s9Lw

I like this channel but he doesn't talk too much about pickup trucks, which is understandable considering he's Dutch. Not exactly something of great importance over there
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That was entertaining, thanks for sharing!  

I think I've seen Ed's channel before when looking for more info about DAF.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Okay here's a prototype 5.0 2V in the style of a 5.8 H.O. Ring with the Helvetica font. I'm aware it's not totally lined up, I still have to figure that out.

This ring decal will have to be a 2-part. My printer just isn't big enough.

And here's another based the style of a 5.8L H.O. Crescent

I'm thinking I'm not using a good program (Inkscape) for this type of work. That or I need to get educated on it.

Text-only decals such as this example from NPD will be very cheap and easy.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe Randy can offer some advice?
He was in the sign making trade and obviously knows how to manipulate fonts.

A word of warning is to know exactly which air cleaner lid you're going to use because one thing we learned with Dad's Air Cleaner was that the raised flats differ, so obviously the radius does too.

Both examples look really good!
The bordered 1V LO is very cheeky.  😈

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I have AutoCAD at work and I'm somewhat decent at it. I will see what I can do with it on my lunch break. I feel scaling in that program will be a lot easier. Then again I haven't even checked out the software my wife uses for her Cricut.

From what I've searched, it looks like there are at least 4 different air cleaner lids. The straight six lid, an early "tall" V8 lid, later "flat" V8 lid, and 6.9L IDI lid. Are the V8 and I6 air cleaners/lids interchangeable?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sorry, I don't know.

I know the 2V & 4V H.O. V-8 air cleaners were different.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
tcbaklash wrote
Thanks for identifying a closer font. The numbers look almost exact. The r is still wrong!
There are some free apps out there that enable you to open a font and modify any letter you want.
I did it for my office logo, needed to reply a vintage "Lettraset" sheet I used that wasn't existing for computers use.
I can help if needed, and Gary could archive the font for future use.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
tcbaklash wrote
And here's another based the style of a 5.8L H.O. Crescent
OUCH that hurts  
Someone said something about the tear drop filter housing AFAIK they did not have anything on them.
I also dont know if they would take to anything on them because of the shape?

I dont know when they went to the round housing maybe around 83?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
4.9 LO !
Omg i have got to have this. I will even paint  the lid silver if i have to!  Let me know when available.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
And the thin line border is great
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
4.9 LO !
Omg i have got to have this. I will even paint  the lid silver if i have to!  Let me know when available.
Hahahaha...that IS funny.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
Someone said something about the tear drop filter housing AFAIK they did not have anything on them.
I also dont know if they would take to anything on them because of the shape?

I dont know when they went to the round housing maybe around 83?
Dave ----
We can always make a straight decal or somethin. I don't really see how I could do a round one on that.

My '82 has a round housing, which I'm led to believe is original based on the rest of the truck.