Crew Cab Headliner

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Crew Cab Headliner

Danny G
Having an issue finding a replacement here. Everything available is for a two door or extended cab.

I'm thinking I need to take mine out and use it as a template. Any material suggestions or has anyone done this?
1985 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Crew Cab Headliner

BigBrother-84
This is the Crew Cab ordeal:
Anything behind the front seat is impossible to find.
For the ceiling vault (the delaminated fabric hanging on our heads), I took it to a upholsterer and he glued a new padded fabric on it.
He kept the original cardboard.  The result is almost identical to the original.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i second that. I have relined headliners as long as jeep grand Cherokee and ford excursion. all thats required is a sound oem base. these are normally a heavy cardboard. very basic. the weak areas are around the visor cutouts as they often crack and tear. but even that is reparable with a bit of fiber glassing on the back side away from the foam/fabric. you WILL wish that you had five hands though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
My cardboard is damaged the fabric isn't sagging its the whole liner, and there is a good size hole in the back as well.

I'll have to get it down and maybe it's salvagable. I don't mind relining it. I was looking at perforated vinyl personally.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
i second that. I have relined headliners as long as jeep grand Cherokee and ford excursion. all thats required is a sound oem base. these are normally a heavy cardboard. very basic. the weak areas are around the visor cutouts as they often crack and tear. but even that is reparable with a bit of fiber glassing on the back side away from the foam/fabric. you WILL wish that you had five hands though.

I was thinking about that as well. 1) if the cardboard is usable what's a good way to reinforce it. 2) how the heck do you get it out lol. I have seen the extended cab version in two pieces.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I did find this company the other day. It's a conversion kit that uses bows and pockets to stretch a liner. It does require you drill for the bows.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Best way I've seen to reinforce crumbly cardboard headliners is to set it on wax paper, saturate it with cyanoacrylate and weight using another sheet of wax paper.
My corners were a mess from gutter leaks. That was 13 years ago, and it still good.

Also, the best way I've found to get the dead foam off is a Nylox 'wire' wheel in a drill.
It's messy, but fast and complete. WAY better than scraping and gouging the cardboard
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Danny G wrote
 2) how the heck do you get it out lol. I have seen the extended cab version in two pieces.
Through the windshield
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Danny G wrote
 2) how the heck do you get it out lol. I have seen the extended cab version in two pieces.
Through the windshield
 Sounds like fun. Will have to schedule that so it all happens at the same time.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Danny G wrote
2) how the heck do you get it out lol.
The cardboard is flexible enough to pry and it goes through an open door.
I did it.
Here are some picts I found from Big Brother’s restoration:

If your cardboard can’t be reinstalled, I’d try with a thin Coroplast board (not too thick so it will stay flexible enough).

They also produce fabric laminated boards, maybe this can do the job?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is exactly what I did on Darth's headliner. If you can find a later set of visors, Darth's cab had the dimples for the inboard clips, just not drilled. I have a set of double visors from a 1996 Crew cab, complete with lighted mirrors.

First picture was before recovering the package shelf, second and third were after recovering it. I have since removed it as it vibrated in the center even without the CB radio on it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Oh man I like those double visors. A centurion ceiling console would be something need to get your hands on for these big gals.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
With the price of them, I could probably make one.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Once I removed the shelf, they fit fine, but you do need the inner support clips that were used 1987 up. Darth actually had the provision for them, the holes just weren't drilled. One thing that solved was the sag and sudden swing of the stock 1986 visors.

If someone wants the shelf, I think I still have it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I'm not sure I understand what shelf you are referring to. I may need to run out to Blue and Gold and see if AI can find some double visors.