Cowl Foam?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cowl Foam?

majorfa05
I just removed the cowl from my 1982 F100, and there is some type of foam around the front edge of the engine compartment where the cowl sits. I am not sure if is is an open cell or closed cell, when you touch it, it falls apart. Anyone know what this is /name for it. Can you buy some to replace the old seal?  Thanks
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cowl Foam?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you are talking about the cowl to hood seal it should be a resilient neoprene type gasket that keeps water off your air cleaner and out of the wiper motor.

I believe It is available from LMC but some of us have used a simple garage door bottom weather seal.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
Nope, thats not it. I trying to figure out how to post a photo. It looks like to me it is used to keep the cowl from rattling agaist the metal of the front of the cab.  The part that is above the hood seal.
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
It runs along the edge in front of the windshield wipers under the cowl.
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
At the top of the page on the left side you'll see "Bullnose Forum"
If you click that there is an FAQ's where you'll see more info on how to post a picture.

Usually (if posting a pic from a phone) you click the insert image button at the top of a reply window.
Then you would click chose file under upload image from my computer.
Go to the image files stored on your device.
Choose the image and then choose big size when you return to the insert image window.
Then click the insert image button at the bottom of the window.
It will close and the file name or number will appear within the text of your reply.

I usually give a double return (enter) before and after placing a picture.
This gives it a little whitespace and looks better IMO.

Sorry, from your description it sounded like the gasket you were talking about was at the hood where you need to unscrew the cowl in the engine bay.

If it's just some foam tape to keep the cowl supported you can probably find a roll in the weatherstrip aisle of your local big box.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by majorfa05
there was a foam-based gasket that was put to the underside of the cowl where it would sort of divert air more through the louvers and less around edges and the windshield area. yes, it degraded quickly but I'm sure that it lasted as long as ford expected it to. we who like our 40 year old trucks get to fix them. i would look into a closed cell foam adhesive type gasket material. it may need to be 3/8-1/2" thick by 1/2-3/4" wide. try to mark the original lines and place in as close as possible. it is not critical to have it but some of us get picky and if it can help avoid rattles (which it may) it is worth doing