classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Computerized Fuel System Documentation Musings

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd like to create a web page that documents the various computer systems Ford used on these trucks as well as trucks up into the late 90's so people have an understanding of what is available if they want to upgrade.

My thinking is to have an overview of what was used, what the differences are, etc.  And, that would include pinouts for the various signals, which systems to choose, and so on.  And then, as some of us work through specifics for our trucks, to include that info as well.  What system we chose, why, how we wired it, how we "programmed" it, and so on.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Caveats?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Computerized Fuel System Documentation Musings

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds like a good plan. At one time, somebody was offering an EEC-IV to EEC-V harness adapter to mate the 60 pin female of the EEC-IV harness to the 104 pin male on the EEC-V box. Since the case size didn't change, as long as a suitable firewall gasket (inside on 1987 - 1991, outside from 1992-1996/7) then an EEC-V can be put in place of an EEC-IV. For those with the dreaded EEC-III systems, the under seat location won't be an issue, just adapting the harness and discarding the DS-III and affiliated parts. I am not sure if an EEC-V box could even be set up to work one of those due to the feedback carburetor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Didn't realize there was an adapter offered.  But, that boggles my mind.  The EEC-V I'm looking at expects there to be a power distribution center with included relays, like for the fuel pump.  But none of the Bullnose trucks had a PDC, so.....  

Anyway, on this to-be page I'm hoping we can capture why one would want/need to use other resources, like Core Tuning, how to do that, and how to engage them.  In other words, to explain the scope of a project and what part various sources play.  (That was really a mystery to me for quite a while, and I'm still not sure I understand.)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No, but the 1985.5-1986 models with EFI had the prerequisite relays. The FBC ones had the EEC power relay and the EFI and hot fuel package trucks had the fuel pump relay. 1987 - 1991 models have the relays located just behind the air filter, on the air filter mount. The 1985 - 1991 relays have to be weatherproof, although the 1985 - 1986 power relay is inside near the EEC. Relay boxes that will protect the standard Bosch relays that virtually everyone uses now can be found at most junkyards and most newer vehicles have a nice PDC, some more than one. It becomes a matter of "How much do you want to do?".
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413