Cna you replace the warning lights for gauges?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cna you replace the warning lights for gauges?

majorfa05
I have a 82 F100 with warning lights and came across a 82 F150 dash cluster, it has the oil & battery gauge.  There were no wires attached to either except for the printed ciruit board. Is his an easy swap?
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cna you replace the warning lights for gauges?

Rembrant
majorfa05 wrote
I have a 82 F100 with warning lights and came across a 82 F150 dash cluster, it has the oil & battery gauge.  There were no wires attached to either except for the printed circuit board. Is his an easy swap?
It is relatively easy, but the biggest hurdle is that the plugs for the two clusters are different, so in order to do the swap the cluster you will also have to swap plugs (which also means cutting and splicing your cluster harness). I don't know if Gary has a write-up on here for this swap or not, but it has been done before. I sold a cluster plug with wires to a guy last year that was doing this very swap.

You would also have to change your oil switch and replace it with an oil sender for the pressure gauge, but that's cheap and easy. No issues there.

I'm not 100% sure on what wiring changes are needed to run the battery gauge, but the guys on here will know for sure.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The pinouts on the connectors are shown on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Gauges and the Printed Circuit Pinouts tab.  And the circuit numbers & wire colors won't have changed, but what each circuit does isn't obvious, so you'll have to go to the EVTM to work that out.  Some place I have a spreadsheet I created that shows what each circuit does, so if you are interested I can see if I can find that.

As for the "battery gauge", that isn't going to work.  The trucks with gauges have a shunt in the harness that generates a very small voltage drop at high current to run the ammeter in the factory gauge cluster.  But a truck with idiot lights doesn't have that shunt, so the ammeter will not work.  However, you can send the ammeter to Rocketman and have him convert it to a voltmeter and we can help you with that wiring.

Also, the alternator warning light, and the associated resistor, bootstrap the alternator in.  But the gauge cluster doesn't have that so you'll have to add a resistor to get the alternator to work.

Bottom Line: It can be done but some wiring will be required.  We don't have a write-up on it, but can help you make it happen.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
MMMM, maybe I screwed up, I did not get the complete cluster, just the oil and battery gauge. The cluster was missing the fuel gauge and the cluster lens screw holes were broken. If I understand what you are saying, I need to go back and see if the cluster plug is still there and get it?
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The gauges won’t fit your cluster. At least not w/o a lot of work. So I think you’ll need the whole cluster and the connector.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
Thanks, back to the yard I go
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress