Clutch pedal only springs back 3/4 of the way.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clutch pedal only springs back 3/4 of the way.

Powerman5K
My clutch pedal began sticking about 3/4 of the way after being released. If I put my foot under it and pull up, it will snap back the rest of the way. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Release spring? Bushings? I can't find a replacement spring for an 80' F100.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clutch pedal only springs back 3/4 of the way.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You probably need to adjust the clutch linkage.  But it is also probable that your linkage is worn.

Go to Driveline/Clutches & Linkage page and then the Clutch Linkage tab, Mechanical tab, and then the Adjustments And R&R tab for the factory shop manual instructions.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
So I need to check the Adjusting Rod under the truck by the transmission? If so, am I adjusting it out or in?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
don't automatically adjust this. find an assistant if you can. set the brake! engine off! have assistant work the clutch while you thoroughly inspect the workings and the action. there could be a worn or loose pivot ball or even a loose bracket.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
This may be overly obvious, but check that the return spring is in place and has good tension. This is a HELP! section part if you need another one:

Also double check that the spring under the dash is properly seated in the pivot on the cast aluminum pedal box.

I have had a failed clutch MC cause incomplete pedal return, but you wouldn’t have a hydraulic clutch in a 1980 unless someone swapped it.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
I have checked the spring under the dash and it operates normal until it gets to the hangup point. Then if I pull up on the pedal, I can see the spring shift position and the pedal fully decompressed. I'm assuming this should operate smoothly?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
How much free play (travel before the throwout bearing touches the pressure plate) is there? Too much free play will let the assist spring (the one under the dash) go over center. It is designed to do this to reduce the effort needed to disengage and hold the clutch disengaged.

I also agree with the suggestion to fully check the linkage. I had two Fords with mechanical clutch linkages ( both cars) and both developed a crack in the cross shaft (piece from frame to engine) which first gave me a hanging pedal and finally no pedal (push it down and it went "thud" and stayed there).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
I checked and there doesn't seem to be any cracks in the linkage. The pedal goes down 1/4 of the was before the clutch engages. It's the same distance I have to pull the pedal up the rest of the way.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Me 3 on checking the linkage and dont just look at it pull it apart.
Remove the rod from the arm at the pedal and look over that end of the rod & arm to make sure they are round.
There should also be a thin plastic bushing that fits over the rod before going thru the arm and the pin back in.

At the other end of that rod do the same pull it and look it over the same way.
There is also a bushing here too.

Unbolt the frame pivot for the Zbar or cross shaft and remove the povit and cross shaft.
IIRC there are pins you need to pull on the shaft before it can come off the motor side pivot.

There should be plastic bushings on both the the frame & motor side pivots.
They are held in place with half round spring clips before the bushings can be removed from the pivots.
There should also be felt seals that fit on the pivots before the bushings are installed.

Make sure all bushings are in good shape. On the Zbar / cross shaft when going back together pack grease in the ends and around the pivots and after you get the frame pivot bolted down push the felt seals into the Zbar / cross shaft.

If the Zbar / cross shaft bushings are not kept in good shape they can cock the Zbar / cross shaft and put strain on the motor side screw in pivot and could snap it!
You can not get this screw in pivot for the 300 six motor any more.
The last one posted from Ebay was $170 IIRC
Dont ask how I know all this

BTW my pedal was doing the same thing for about 2 weeks before the motor side pivot broke off the motor. I was lucky it happened 1/4 mile from my house and I had a new pivot because I had fixed this one 2 times before.

Also when I put the truck on the road 2 years before it had now thin bushings, they were trashed when I pulled it apart for this last fix.
I hit the hardware store for thicker bushings in hope they will last longer than 2 years.
This is how I got the truck

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
wear happens and bad, broken or missing bushings go undetected all too often allowing damaging wear to happen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Just got mine off this morning and this is where I'm at.

Not as bad as yours but I want to fix it. Obviously the factory bushings are none existent. I looked to replace the rod all together and just like everything else that goes bad on these trucks, they don't make it. Ebay has some for $90... pass. So what are my options? I'm thinking of going to my local hardware store to find some brash bushings to get everything back running proper. Any thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
On Dad's truck I welded the worn bits up and ground them back to round.  Or used a drill to make the hole the right size.

But speaking of size for the holes, since I also bought oilite bushings that are bigger than the plastic bushings I drilled the holes out to take the oilite bushings and used them instead of plastic.  I don't remember where I got mine, but Amazon has several.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
I was able to find a brass bushing at my local hardware store. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
This post was updated on .
Looks like you got it in time

I would have loved to go a bushing like that but the local store did not have anything close that would work
The only thing I was worried of when making the holes a little larger for the bushings is not having enough "meat" around the hole for support and making it weak.
I figured if I found it was to thin and weak I would run a bead or 3 down the edge with the welder to build it up thicker but looked OK so did not weld beads.

A really good fix would be Hyme Joints as you would never have metal to metal parts rubbing together that should not be.
Heck I did not think of it till just now  and if I have issues again that will be the way I go.
I have a second rod so maybe I should start looking into this?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think Heim joints would be a good solution for the mechanical linkage.