classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clutch linkage shaft bushings?

RenoHuskerDu
Howdy gentlemen,

I searched on some variations of this and only found one old fleabay listing, long gone so no pics.

Our 86 bully has two little plastic bushings on the small push shaft between the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder. They are expired, as you can see. So we have metal on metal and it will oval something sooner or later. I could use rubber grommets but they would not last long in there.

Does anyone know what these bushings are called and where I could buy new ones?  

Thank you.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clutch linkage shaft bushings?

BigBrother-84
Hi,
Are these bushings from the pedals shaft?

LMC seems to sell couple of bushings related to the clutch system:
https://www.lmctruck.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Pedal
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
I'm not sure I follow which bushings you are talking about, but since there are two I think they are the two on the cross-shaft on the right below.  They are E0TZ 2471-A, and I think LMC, JBG, and others have them.

The other one is the one on the shaft from the bellcrank to the master, and is shown on the left.  It is D8TZ 7526-B, but I don't know who carries it.

And for reference, this is from our page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches & Linkage.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Good job, Jeff.  The only problem is the link to the LMC catalog, which requires you to enter what truck you have instead of taking you to the referenced page.  I don't know a way around that, which is why I refuse to use the on-line LMC catalog.

I'm tagging Keith/FORDification, who is Mr Ford at LMC, but last I heard there's nothing he can do about it.  Still, I want him to see that it is really causing problems.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FORDification
Jeff:

The bushings you need are Basic Part No. 2471 in the diagram Gary posted above. Here's the listing from the Master Parts Catalog which shows E0TZ-2471-A as the proper part:

...and here's that bushing available from LMC:

As for the website...yeah, it's been a PIA for a lot of people for a long time, including myself. And while I don't have a definite timetable, I've been told that changes are coming "soon" that will alleviate having to enter a year/make/model before getting to a page. I guess we'll see.
Keith - FORDification.info/.com/.net - The '61-'79 Ford Pickup Resources
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Keith.  I'm glad to see that the website/catalog will change.  I'll start using it again when it does.

Basically the issue has been twofold.  First, we can't link to a page to show someone what he/she is looking for.  So I use the catalogs of the other suppliers, which do allow me to link to a specific page or part number.

Second, I know that those bushings, for instance, are generic and were used for many years so I don't need to tell the catalog what year vehicle I have.  Since the other sites don't require me to enter that info then why use a catalog that does?

Trust me, I have nothing against Long Motor Company.  Just its catalog.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Actually, it is not the bushings on the clutch bell crank shaft, which are labeled 2741 or 800763. I have those in stock, big job, waiting until we do the dash swap.

It is smaller diameter bushings that encircle the rod which actuates the clutch master cylinder, and let it slide peacefully in metal holes.  Alas, I don't see them in the drawings at all.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They don't show in my post?

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I don't have part numbers, but I do know flange bushings made from hardened steel and sintered oil-impregnated bronze are available in a variety of sizes from various places. Not sure if any pre-made ones are the right dimensions?

Plastic bushings kinda suck... they're cheap and light, and that's all one can say for them. Reminds me of how I've seen Paul Cangialosi (the manual transmission wizard) swap out the stock (junk) plastic bushings on Hurst shifter rails/levers for hardened steel ones he had custom made. Especially important for racers who slam gears and destroy the plastic bushings in short order.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
No they are not in there. The rod that goes thru the firewall and pushes the clutch master cylinder is not shown. I don't see it...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If 7526 isn't it, can you show where they are supposed to be by drawing on that illustration?

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, two ships in the night…
I was sending this diagram.
Just curious where we can find yours, mine is very similar but parts referencing numbers are different.

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In my post above you missed the "And for reference, this is from our page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches & Linkage."  Aka "The Bullnose Library".  

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
That just might be it, I may have overlooked it. Right now it's 110F out there, we'll crawl under and take some pics around 9pm after pulling that truck under the roof a few hours earlier.

Thank you !
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
RenoHuskerDu wrote
Right now it's 110F out there
OMG!  I simply die over 104ºF!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Houston, we have confirmation.  7526 is the bushing we need.

Any idea how to purchase one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As said earlier, the whole part number is D8TZ 7526-B.  You can probably find them by searching, which should bring up hits on Rear Counter, the Ford dealership organization.  And since those where used starting in 1978 for many years they are probably still available.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
The ambient is about 100F today, but our heat pumps are out on the carport, where we work.

So they add a lot of heat right there from the house AC....
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
OEM not cheap!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283759024003

6$ at Dennis Carpenter:
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/transmission/clutch/d8tz-7526-b-bushing-clutch-pedal-to-idler

Restored 2019-2022.