27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clutch linkage shaft bushings?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Jeff!  

Keith - Dennis Carpenter is doing it correctly.  Not only can we link directly to the part in the catalog, but they show the original part number so we can find the part in a search of the internet.  Hopefully your IT department will see the need to do it that way.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
I'm late to the party on this, but that bushing is a common failure point on clutch linkage on brick and bull nose trucks.

The diesel guys in bricks have all gone to a heim joint to replace it.

I'm doing the same. I found a hose clamp holding mine on in my old farm truck 😅

Here is the link to the one I got from eBay. Amazon actually has it cheaper, I missed that before I ordered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112596684830?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=i8XQn53mSOG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=zsHVthsATtS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It has instruction on how to install as well plus videos on YouTube.

Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
'87 F350 Cab & Chassis Dually with Aluminum Flatbed
Carb'ed 460, ZF5 S-42, 4x4, Dana 60 Solid Axle, Sterling Rear 3.55 Gears
'85 Ford Bronco II 2.8, V6 Duraspark Conversion, A4LD Auto, 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Whoops, Dennis Carpenter wants $10 to put that little guy in an envelope and mail it.  So it's only a few bucks less than fleabay, and it's a repro not NOS. It sticks in my craw when vendors clearly are hiding extra profit on shipping. They should be more honest about it. I mail small stuff often  and it doesn't cost $10.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ford4wd08
That's an interesting approach and a big improvement.  I have a ZF5, so may want to do that when the time comes.  Thanks for sharing.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Glad to share. My pedal currently has about 3/4" of slop before the rod is moved. I'm sure my linkage is ovaling pretty bad.

This heim joint should fix all that permanently.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
'87 F350 Cab & Chassis Dually with Aluminum Flatbed
Carb'ed 460, ZF5 S-42, 4x4, Dana 60 Solid Axle, Sterling Rear 3.55 Gears
'85 Ford Bronco II 2.8, V6 Duraspark Conversion, A4LD Auto, 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Us manual linkage guys have the same issues with them plastic bushings on the linkage rod ends.
Mine had been in for about 2 years and not used everyday and when the Zbar pivot broke on the motor side I had to pull that all out to R&R the pivot.
Well my 2 year old plastic bushings look just as bad as the one pictured.

I hit the hardware store looking for metal bushings but could not find anything close.
I did find a thicker plastic bushing that fit the ID but the OD was to big.
I ended up drilling the holes bigger to fit the bushings OD and hope it will last longer.

If they go bad I will look at Master Carr for metal bushings I can make fit.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
So, we decided to run barefoot, as it were, with the old bushing shreds in there, letting it oval out for now.

Like I mentioned last year, we got this one as a parts truck, from the great state of WA, where you can now meet a swat team and $1M bail for quoting the Bible. Just ask Tyler Dinsmoor.

Feast your eyes on that XLT Lariat interior. The cab is rusted down low, but the plastic is uncracked. No Texas sun in WA. The bullnose front clip is gone already, ready to go on my son's 97 Aeronose.

Once we strip our TX truck dash down to swap in the WA truck dash, we'll use that Heim joint fix. It seems that the Zbar would best go in a drill press vice to mod it well.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.