Clutch kits.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clutch kits.

Fordboy300
Hey guys so with the warmer weather around the corner Big Red clutch was starting to slip, chatter, and the throw out bearing was chirping away before it got parked for the winter.  It’s gonna be time for a new one this year.  I’ve been doing a bit of inter-web window shopping and noticed that there is a 10 and 11 inch clutch kits  how would I know which one to buy or do both sizes fit?  Also what do you guys suggest a new flywheel or resurface the original one it’s been resurfaced once from what I know.  
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clutch kits.

Powerman5K
I just did this last spring. Mine had a 10" on it. I didn't know until I opened it up what size I needed. (That's mostly because I was ignorant and didn't plan ahead like you are.) I'm sure there is a way to tell but someone else will have to chime in with their knowledge.

As far as the flywheel question. It was difficult for me to find a place that still surfaced them. When I did find one, I found the cost was comparable to just replacing it all together. Sadly, this skill (like many others) are fading away. In the end, I just replaced mine. Best of luck!
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I was curious so I looked this up.

It looks like your truck could have had either a 10" or 11" clutch. From what I can tell on RockAuto, I think the 11" was used in trucks over 8500 GVWR.

It appears that the pressure plate is different between the two clutch sizes, so your disc size will be determined by the pressure plate you use.

I can't tell if there is a difference between the flywheels based on the clutch. Rock shows the part as being for both less than and more than 8500 GVWR, so my guess is that the mounting holes for the pressure plate are the same.

I prefer a bigger clutch. I went to great lengths to get the biggest clutch I could when I built my truck. If you are replacing the disc and flywheel, you may want to consider upgrading the clutch to 11" and just buy the whole clutch kit. It isn't that much more money and you can have the clutch you want. I have a Centerforce and I love the bite, but that is a bit more spendy. I think Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kits DF226049 will fit your rig.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Little beefy thanks for the reply!!!

That centerforce clutch kit is the one I was looking at.  Also McLeod clutch caught my eye too

Looking for a little bit more clamping pressure something that won’t chatter.
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I'm happy with my Centerforce, but I can't speak to a comparison with Mcleod. I have heard they make good flywheels though.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior