classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cheap Table Saw

Machspeed
Administrator
Christmas came just a little early this year and wife does not know yet that she bought this for me....

I've long wanted a table saw for sheet metal work, mostly patch panels. The cost and the lack of space have held me back from such an acquisition until I found this combo.

Harbor Freight Bauer Portaband Saw: https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-64194.html

SWAG Table: https://www.swagoffroad.com/swag-v10-portaband-table-_p_64.html

Foot Pedal:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017T2J2NC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

SWAG is an off road company that makes all kinds of cool stuff for people like us including the table I purchased pictured above. Their website is totally worth perusing.  

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cheap Table Saw

grumpin
Cool! Bet you’ll put that to work.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Show us the pics of what you are working on, John?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Very cool John!

Something I desperately want/need is a drill press...for various reasons...but I don't really have room for a full size floor model, and I'm not sure a bench top unit would be heavy enough for what I want to use it for.
I've been torn on the topic for several years.

I mainly want it for drilling out broken bolts, in which case it needs to have a good size table on it to be able to bolt down something like a SBF timing cover (I happen to have a used one with 2 broken bolts in it lol).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A floor model drill press with a table that can be moved up and down is the best.  Otherwise the work can be too tall to get on the table.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Show us the pics of what you are working on, John?
Ok Gary, but it's not a Bull, it's a Mustang...LOL! Finally moving attention back to my Mustang. As least for a little bit. My truck is in the shop having a new bedliner sprayed in. When they finish, I'll be back on it briefly pulling the bed, fixing the short in the fuel gauge, and cleaning up the exposed frame with some POR 15. But with time off from work, I've been bored and need to work on something, thus the Mustang. So, removed the old tail light panel and have fitted up the new one. Cut out an area of rust on the rear qtr and made a patch panel. Hope to weld all this in over the weekend.

Corey, if you look behind the saw I have pictured above, you'll just see a bench top drill press in the background. I built the rotisserie (plus a body cart) that my Mustang is current hanging on using that unit. It's a mid level Harbor Freight unit too! I've also drilled out broken bolts using it as well. I've put that thing through hell and it never gives up. If space is lacking, I would not hesitate to go with a bench top.

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good, John.  And if you don't have a thread going on another forum about your Mustang, feel free to start one here.  We all have other interests, and we are family, so...

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Very cool John!

Something I desperately want/need is a drill press...for various reasons...but I don't really have room for a full size floor model, and I'm not sure a bench top unit would be heavy enough for what I want to use it for.
I've been torn on the topic for several years.

I mainly want it for drilling out broken bolts, in which case it needs to have a good size table on it to be able to bolt down something like a SBF timing cover (I happen to have a used one with 2 broken bolts in it lol).
Cory, I don’t have room for a drill press, or much else for that matter. But a friend says here’s a drill press,
I made space. I use it to set things on when I run out of room.

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
Cory, I don’t have room for a drill press, or much else for that matter. But a friend says here’s a drill press,
I made space. I use it to set things on when I run out of room.
I need one of those friends!

We have a little table top drill press at work, and I'm going to bring it home for a couple weeks and try it out and see if I can handle having it on the bench, etc.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
A floor model drill press with a table that can be moved up and down is the best.  Otherwise the work can be too tall to get on the table.
My bench top I got from HF the table moves up & down, can swing left & right 360* if you want and has multi speed by moving the belt to different pulleys.

The table also has slots for a vice to hold the project I have had it years and has done me good so far.

A table saw would be nice at times my have to look into this set up unless I can find a table top one, if they make them, for cheap as I dont see the need for the saw other wise.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100