Bullnose Forums

Center Cap Identification

On another thread we've been discussing, among other things, the center caps used on the 5-lug wheels. And, to me the master parts catalog is quite confusing as it says things that are seemingly in conflict with what I thought was the case.

For instance, in 1980 it has these entries:

• E2TZ 1130-C 7 1/8" diameter-chrome w/red center ornament - use on forged alum. 15x6 wheel-rear

• D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels

• D7TZ 1130-K 7 1/8" diameter-red center ornament for styled wheels-rear wheels

That would seem to say that these trucks got both black and red center ornaments. I don't believe that is the case, so I'm asking for you to tell me what the ID #'s are for the center caps you have and what color they are as well as what the color is of the center cap. And I'll translate your ID #'s to part numbers as I have an ID # to part # cross reference, and we will then understand.

Note: I'm trying to nail down what the situation actually is. You are welcome to tell me what you think it is, but I'm really looking for #'s.

So I'll go first. I have:

ID # PART # COMMENTS

• D7TA 1A096-BA D7TZ 1130-L Black plastic w/no medallion for front wheels

• F0TA 1A097-AA E2TZ 1130-C Chrome w/red center medallion

So tell me what ID #'s you have and I'll translate. The plastic ones have it embossed on the underside, and the chrome ones have a paper tag - that sometimes still has #'s on it.

Thanks, Rick. Yes, those should be just like mine w/the same #. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think it is bad wording on Ford's part. These center cap assemblies are sometimes referred to as "ornaments." And the center caps are sometimes called "medallions."

D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels

I think this one is black where mine is chrome and is open for the front manual hubs to go through.

D7TZ 1130-K 7 1/8" diameter-red center ornament [medallion] for styled wheels-rear wheels

I think this one is also black where mine is chrome and has a red ornament in the center. These were used in the rear wheels to match the front of the 4x4 version where the red manual hubs would go through.

1980-bronco-1.thumb.jpg.349275c9169972392b42c556cba290a1.jpg

I think it is bad wording on Ford's part. These center cap assemblies are sometimes referred to as "ornaments." And the center caps are sometimes called "medallions."

D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels

I think this one is black where mine is chrome and is open for the front manual hubs to go through.

D7TZ 1130-K 7 1/8" diameter-red center ornament [medallion] for styled wheels-rear wheels

I think this one is also black where mine is chrome and has a red ornament in the center. These were used in the rear wheels to match the front of the 4x4 version where the red manual hubs would go through.

Yes, D7TZ 1130-L is black plastic and has an open center, as I reported above. But I'm wanting someone to confirm that D7TZ 1130-K is black with a red center. Then, once we have proof I'll annotate the MPC and change the web page.

Yes, D7TZ 1130-L is black plastic and has an open center, as I reported above. But I'm wanting someone to confirm that D7TZ 1130-K is black with a red center. Then, once we have proof I'll annotate the MPC and change the web page.

If you look at the wheel options in the 1980 and 1981 literature on this site, that is all it can be.

Isn't that what it says in the catalog?

Yes, but it also says "D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels", and I've just proven that D7TZ-L has no center ornament. It is logical that it wouldn't have a center medallion if it was for the front wheels, but that's not what it says.

So, I don't believe the catalog and want to know for sure that it is right on the other caps before I start changing.

Yes, but it also says "D7TZ 1130-L 7 1/8" diameter-black center ornament for styled wheels-front wheels", and I've just proven that D7TZ-L has no center ornament. It is logical that it wouldn't have a center medallion if it was for the front wheels, but that's not what it says.

So, I don't believe the catalog and want to know for sure that it is right on the other caps before I start changing.

D7TZ 1130-L is *only* listed for the front wheels on a 4/W/D in the catalog. A 4/W/D vehicle would have had manual hubs in the front. Therefore, a center cap - or medallion - could not be used. The manual hub would stick through the black open center "ornament."