classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Carburetor / Intake Replacement

Bullnose Gator
Hey gang, been a while.

I've posted here a while back about various carburetor issues I've had over the last 2 years.  Now it seems my electric choke is broke.  Main symptom: it don't move and takes several minutes to start from cold.  I think I'm ready to replace the carb and found a stock replacement for a good price (link below).  

Since I'll have the carb off I was wondering, is there benefit to replacing the intake manifold? All I know is the very basics of air/fuel mixture and am curious if there is an intake upgrade that might improve performance and/or gas milage.  Or anything else I should consider replacing/upgrading at the same time.

FYI mine still has all of the original emissions stuff hooked up (which I'd love to delete but Gary recommended not to), not sure if that matters or not.  

https://nationalcarburetors.com/Ford-Truck-1984-1987-460-75L-AT-California-Holley-4180_p_2039.html
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Carburetor / Intake Replacement

85lebaront2
Administrator
Other than weight reduction, any replacement manifold is going to need the EGR valve provision and anything else needed. One other thing the 40 miles of "spaghetti" (vacuum lines) are going to be brittle as all get out and will probably crumble where they pass over the exhaust cross over passage.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
i'm getting to do an intake and carb change myself.  we're replacing a ford 2v intake with a new aluminum 2ual place low rise and a new ( 2 me ) Holley 4160.  I've changed a few for some friends and never had any issues installing them.  They have provisions for everything you would need and are way lighter.  It's said they give better air flow then the stock intakes, but this is my first go round with an aluminum on mine.. from my gatherings, it is said that you can gain from 5 to 20 hp by replaceing the intake.  When i took mine off, I was looking at it very carefully and thinking back about the ones that i have changed, and just by looking, it seams they would have better flow.  Good luck with the carb
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Bullnose Gator
well, this is a bit of a loaded question. it is not necessary! it is a want if the owner wants it. I'm not sure how much the cast iron 460 intake weighs or how much weight savings there will be specifically. I know it's a good bit. Now if I were building from available parts and I had an eddy performer sitting next to the stock one then I would take the eddy.  but on a vehicle this heavy, with an engine this heavy, I doubt you would ever see or feel or calculate the difference in weight savings alone. the carb in good tune is the number one point. Depending on how you drive you may never know any performance gains either. Unless you are doing much more I would go with a good carb and keep it very simple. "Projects grow"!
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Sounds like I'll be keeping it to just the carb.  Thanks!
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460