8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Buyer beware - integrity

1986F150Six
Administrator
Fellow forum members,

Over the weekend, I felt the need/urge to post something which I hope will be beneficial. Recently, we have all followed the parts being offered by one member to another. This is great and what we are all about... helping each other come closer to completing a project.

But, buyer beware! People are people and have different thoughts about what is fair. Years ago, on another forum, I made a purchase from a member who was a "posting guru" with thousands of posts. As a somewhat "newbie", I trusted the individual and sent a check and never received the part; only excuses. One of the moderators PM'ed me after I posted a warning to others without mentioning the name of the one who took advantage. The moderator had been following the particular thread where the part was being described and figured out who the offender was. The moderator "knew" the individual and contacted him via PM as well as email, but the outcome was the same. What is hard for me to comprehend is that the offending individual was well respected with regard to his knowledge and ability to find treasures at the junkyards and was willing to give all that up... it was found that he had done the same to others and the word got out on the forum. He withdrew from the forum. What a waste of talent.

Years later, one comes to know others who are men of integrity. They do what they say they will and you can put total trust in them as they are motivated differently. There are some for which you can see a part that you know is desired by one of the men of integrity and make the purchase, so it will not be bought by someone else, and you know the person will be thankful and will make the proper compensation. You can send something to one of these and if they say they will pay and cover freight, you know the "check is in the mail".

I feel that many on this forum fall into this category, but have had actual transactions with two. Some of you, no doubt, know of others. Gary Lewis and Jonathan Donald definitely fall into this category. Others, I trust fully just by their history, but have not actually dealt with them in an actual parts transaction.

Be careful at first and use PayPal or certified checks, etc.

I hope this will be taken in the way I mean it and helpful to any "newbies".

David
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Buyer beware - integrity

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - I thank you for that endorsement. But I feel somewhat like Tim did here at the house that Friday night when I introduced him as “The Ford engine guru”.  I don’t really deserve nor want the adulation.

But, your words of caution are good. I, too, have been burned by more than one person on transactions - although none on this forum. However, I don’t need to get even or cause them any problems - they’ll have to come to terms with that some day. (I wish I really, really felt that way.  A week ago yesterday the sermon was on forgiveness - my toes are still hurting.)

Anyway, there are many on here with whom I’ve had dealings and trust implicitly. I won’t mention any names for fear I’ll miss someone and offend them. But we have a good group of people on here, and I’m glad to call this “home”. 😉
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David and Gary, I thank you both for bringing up the subject and showing both sides.

I didn't start out looking to dismantle the 450 to sell parts.
I just wanted the short block and Gary mentioned he wanted some bits too.
Then Bill chimed in.
Then Theo helped me pull the engine and noticed how clean the cab was for a New England truck. (it's from New Hampshire)
Then .....

When Gary decided to get the 'huck' I told him that there was no commitment to anything I had pulled.

But he wanted it anyway, and offered to pay shipping so I wasn't out of pocket beyond the packing materials.
THAT is a stand up guy!

I may not have a lot of faith or grace, but I try to live my life with integrity, mostly because when all you have is your word, it better be good.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Buyer be ware and seller as well...

I've done a lot of parts back and forth with members of forums and Facebook. Mostly the exchanges have been positive and add to my enjoyment of the hobby. Usually the sale or purchase is prefaced by some personal sharing of one's project goals and parts needs. This contributes to the perception of friendship over the shared interest and a sense of trust that may turn out to be false. Sometimes this manifests in delayed payment, lack of acknowledgement or thanks and in one such instance this trust bit me in the behind to the tune of over $100.

I prefer to send the part up front so that I know the actual shipping charge before taking someone's money. Usually upon messaging the tracking number my PayPal receives a deposit within the day. But it is a risk I take and it was bound to happen.

Unless you go though eBay where users are verified and face legal consequences for bad business, there is no way avoid one party in the equation taking the risk. Whoever sends the part or money first runs the risk of the other person flaking out. So you do have to be careful in your estimation of the other person and always realize the deal could go south so don't bet more than you can afford to loose.

One should not forget mistakes of the past, but yes, holding on to resentments is equivalent to a drowning man holding on to a rock. Or a Buddha put it, "holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die". Forgiveness is important even if the wrongdoer is unaware. Doing so diminishes the amount of space that person takes up in your mind and frees your mental energy to accomplish other things.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, we have already discussed delivery of my parts, and I will gladly pay for your fuel cost down to Dover DE and probably buy you lunch or dinner depending on time of day. At least Dover seems to be a reasonable location once your sister is ready for you to do her repairs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill,
I'm going to Swathmore anyhow.
Dover is only another hour according to Google maps.
I really appreciate your offer, but...

I'm putting your radiator flaps in with the rest of your parts.

Is there a particular date that works best for you? I know the dates you've told me *don't* work.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Right now the 15th, 23rd and 29th of November. 15th is dog grooming, 23rd is Thanksgiving Day, 29th I have a Drs appointment at 10:00 AM in Onley VA.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Ford F834
I have sold, and bought, a lot of parts over the years. A LOT !! I use my gut . .  and have only had a few bad experiences. That's going to happen and those few certainly have not changed my outlook. I recently sold a bike to a guy in CA. I was the seller, so no issues in being ripped off. But the buyer was a PITA  :) Really! When the shipper contacted me, I told him as much. He said he has dealt with this guy before and yes, he totally understands :)  So sure, they are out there, But by far, most exchanges have been smooth. There is a trust that needs to be built.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco