classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Blue To The Ozarks?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Some of y'all will remember the thread called Big Blue's Trip To New Mexico where I explained that I thought my son and I were going to take Big Blue to run the New Mexico Back Country Discovery Route in October. But that didn't happen for several reasons, one of which included both Janey and I coming down with COVID in early October. So we moved the probable date to January/February, but it turns out that the NM route is closed as of Dec 31st.

So now we are looking at the Ozark Overlanding Adventure Trail. But this trail is much more technical than the NM route as it has numerous water crossings and serious ruts in some places - as you'll see if you watch some of the video below.

I've joined the Facebook page and asked a few questions, including what their thoughts are of Big Blue's capability of doing it. Basically all of the answers said we can make it but will need to be careful and are sure to get more "pinstripes". I'm ok with that, but the concern is the lack of a snorkel for the water crossings. So I'm going to tee that up in Big Blue's Transformation thread.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Blue To The Ozarks?

Nothing Special
Looks like a fun challenge!  I think my biggest concern would be the off-camber muddy ditches that make you slide into the bank on one side.  If it's soft mud that's one thing, but if there are rocks or trees that can lead to more than pinstripes.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, Bob.  Missed this yesterday.  You are right, those muddy off-camber ditches are worrying.  Maybe it'll be dry when we go?  But if not we will have to be very careful.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Time for an update.  It looks like Bret and I'll hit the trail in late February and spend the equivalent of two full days on it spread across three days.  Said another way, we'll drive from home to the start of the trail on the morning of the first day, spend all of the second day on the trail, and then spend the morning of the third day on it and head for home that afternoon.

I'm thinking we can do the OOAT's Day 1 the afternoon of the first day, Day 2 on the 2nd day, and then about 1/3 of Day 3 on the third day.  That'll put us at a highway and we can head for home from there.  We still have a lot of planning to do, but he's about to book his flights so it is going to happen.

However, I've been getting a lot of interesting thoughts from the guys on two FB pages I'm on - the OOAT page and the Overland In Oklahoma page.  In both cases some are telling me that Big Blue is too big.  But others have stepped up and said "I did it in my Ram 1500" or "I did it in my late model F-Series".  So I compared Big Blue to those trucks and found this:

Truck                  Width w/o Mirrors    Wheelbase      Overall Length
Big Blue R/C 8' box         77.17                133"                208.3"
Ram 1500 C/C 5' 7" box  79.4                  140.5              229.0
F-Series S/C 5' 6" box     79.9                  145.4              231.7

So it looks to me like BB can make it since they made it.  Now, if we can just thread the needle.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, WE ARE GOING!  Bret bought his airline tickets today.  He will get here on the evening of Feb 22nd and we will spend the night here, and then head out on the 23rd.  And he'll fly back on the 26th, so we will have either the equivalent of 2 or 2 1/2 days on the trail.

More later...

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
And, WE ARE GOING!
YEEHAW !!!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jeff.  It is exciting to have a date, but now I need to get a few things done on the truck.  And especially the air intake system.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
And especially the air intake system.

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's cool, Jeff!  I wondered what it would look like on BB.  In fact I'd thought about Photoshopping it on but my PS skills aren't that good so I didn't try.

But you even got the latest pic with the painted headlight doors.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I think Big Blue is just about ready to tackle the OOAT.  As detailed in his Transformation thread I've replaced the idler pulley as the old one was making a noise, and I installed new fan belts while "in there", placing the gently-used ones in the spares bin that will go in BB's toolbox.  And I extended the vents for the front and rear axles to get them well above any water level we are going to meet.

So I think we are "there".  I'm sure I'll find other little things to do, but they'll be really minor, like cleaning the windshield.   

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I realized today that the Coyote deflaters were set at 15 psi, which I think is too low given what I saw in Colorado two years ago.  And after some discussion with the guys on the OOAT FB page I chose 25 psi for this round and adjusted the deflaters to that, although I'm wondering if 30 might be better.  We shall see.

Anyway, with that done I set the tire pressures to 60 psi, although now I realize I didn't check the spare so must do that.  And I bumped up the air bags/springs from the 5 psi they were sitting at to 20 as we'll have a little bit of a load back there.

And Janey and I went to a thrift store and got several pans in which to cook on the trip.  And yesterday we picked up a 10F sleeping bag, pad, and pillow.  So things are coming together.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is getting real, and real close.  Our son comes in Wednesday and we leave Thursday.  So I'm busy checking every possible thing.  Today I got the spares together and in the truck.  That includes:

Bill's ECU

TFI ignition control module

Large and small relays and one of each size and amperage of fuse

Air filter

Fan belts

Idler pulley

But it just dawned on me that I don't have spare megafuses in.  Like the 150A one for the alternator and the smaller one for the inverter.  Best check that out.

And it goes w/o saying that every possible hand tool is included in the toolbox.  As is the Ridgid sawzall and blades.  Plus two batteries, one of which is in the charger which is plugged into the inverter, so it like all of the lighting (flashlights, headlamp, string lights, and camp lantern) and walkie talkie radios are being charged when the engine is running.

What might I be missing?  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
What might I be missing?  
Probably already in your luggage, but...
-Spare spark plugs
-Manual winch
-Strong cable, straps
-12V air pump
-Tubeless tire repair kit
-Shovel
-Ace
-Bow saw (or chain saw + mixed fuel)
-SpotX (or satellite phone) if no phone zone

Plus, a lot of smiles and fun!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - Thanks for the list.  Here's my response:

-Spare spark plugs: I have one in.  Should be enough.
-Manual winch: I have two very strong & long ratchet straps in addition to the 12K lb electric winch
-Strong cable, straps: The afore mentioned ratchet straps plus lots of chain
-12V air pump: Nope, mine is 120v.  And it'll blow the 12v units into the weeds.  
-Tubeless tire repair kit: I don't have one of those and should.  Will see what I can do.
-Shovel: I meant to put one in but forgot.  Thanks!
-Ace: ?  What's this?
-Bow saw (or chain saw + mixed fuel): I have a Ridgid sawzall with 2 long blades and 2 batteries + charger
-SpotX (or satellite phone) if no phone zone: We have the Garmin Montana with inReach.  That gives us the ability to send an SOS message and as many of the three pre-canned messages we want in a day.  Right now we have the three messages as:
Starting OOAT: we'll send this on Thursday when we get to the trail and Fri & Sat morns as we start
Making camp: we'll send this each evening to let them know we are safe
Headed home: we'll send this on Saturday when we get to the state highway and boggie

-Plus, a lot of smiles and fun!  We have the smiles packed already!

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
-12V air pump: Nope, mine is 120v.  And it'll blow the 12v units into the weeds.  
Of course!  I should have known!

Gary Lewis wrote
-Ace: ?  What's this?
Oooops!  Couple of letters jumped out while typing!
I meant hatchet.
Sorry!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, hatchet makes sense.  I have one and if I can find it I'll put it in.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Chewing gum.

Sounds like you have things covered…
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Dane.  But, as it turns out I don't have everything covered.  I've forgotten spare megafuses for the alternator and inverter.  So tomorrow I'll go visit our member DeWayne at Skiatook Auto Parts and pick up some.

Both the alternator and inverter are currently fused at 150A.  I'm sure that's good for the 130A alternator, but don't know if it is right for the inverter, although it has been handling the compressor ok so far.  But tomorrow I'll use my new Ames CM610A 600A clamp-on ammeter on the feed to the inverter to see how much it pulls when running the air compressor, and then go buy some spares.

And, by the way, that meter goes with me in Big Blue at all times.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As explained in Big Blue's Transformation thread the current to the inverter hit 150 amps before I shut the compressor off.  So I bought 150, 175, and 200 amp fuses and will put them in the spares bag.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, Bob Dylan wrote "the times they are a-changin'" and he was sooooo right!

Our son, Bret, called yesterday and was miserably ill.  Called again today and is no better.  So we've called the trip off for later this week as he couldn't enjoy it at all, and has no business flying.

But, his tickets are non-refundable so he's going to come at some point and we picked April 27th - May 1st.  And by that point Arkansas will be wet, warm, and buggy, which won't be as fun.  But, New Mexico's roads should be open by then, so it looks like we are back to Plan A.

And honestly, that will probably work out better since he doesn't yet know how to drive the truck and the NM roads are easy compared to the forest service roads in AR.  So that will give him a better chance of getting familiar with it.