Dextron/mercon sp or v is what I find as recommended
What brand works best?  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best oil for AOD

mat in tn
timing is funny.
I just disassembled an aod last night to start another build and I would damn near guarantee the last owner put oil in it. now listen closely. do not put oil in it!  I know this and I know all here know this too but I'm pretty sure someone just made this mistake and it's probably why I got the truck so cheap. I am only being specific in case someone is reading along trying to gain info without asking directly. transmission fluid. dextron 2 was the original type but ford calls it mercon.
Reply | Threaded
|

screaminL
My thread ask what brand
I stated the type
Sorry to split hairs oil/fluid
My mistake
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Your title says "Best oil for AOD"

Mat is correct.
Oil is not good for your AOD.

I use ATF in my gearbox but don't have friction bands so it's not really comparable.

I usually go with Valvoline (brand) synthetic.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by screaminL
all good. I'm certainly NOT being critical. I just deal with people every day who actually don't know.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do you have a favorite flavor of fill for your AOD's Mat?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I don't know, not having had an AOD since we sold the 1990 Lincoln Town Car. One thing might be of interest, Chrysler released a new fluid a couple of years ago, they now recommend it for any transmission where type A or Dexron was specified. It is sold as ATF + 4 and was developed for the A604/41TE transaxles as they (a) have no pressure adjustment for load as virtually all others do (the latest iteration does have an EPC solenoid) and (b) have a tendency to burn up, particularly the converter clutch.

It is a synthetic like Dexron/Mercon but has friction additives like type F. I did fill T2K-CAR's transaxle with it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I generally use dextron 2. brands change.  I do improvements with builds though. from subtle to near harsh depending on the ask or intent. one of the weaknesses of the aod was more about when it was designed. it was a different time. power was Not being promoted and wasn't really expected. 55 mph speed limits, memory of fuel rationing etc.  to have a small v8 turning 1500 rpm at nearly no throttle sounds like a real fuel saving plan. if only it worked. having low expectations, they designed in a pressure reduction to make less resistance at the pump. these days where the average minivan gives far better performance, we are sometimes disappointed when we get in our old trucks. I prefer to hotrod a little. however, in keeping an old aod in shape. fluid and filter are important but the big one is tv adjustment.  there are a few ways promoted for keeping it adjusted but the only true method is to use a pressure guage on the tv tap at the rearward passenger side.  pressure should be between 0-5 psi at idle. too low and power hits the clutches before they are held firm and subsequently slip. too high and shift becomes harsh, downshifts early, and od hold is more erratic. never attempt to drive with a broken or disconnected cable
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So "dextron 2" is a brand or manufacturer, rather than a spec??  

This is an interesting fact that I never knew
Appreciate the insight and clarification.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
dextron 2 is a specific type of hydraulic transmission fluid. most brands will have this type. most commonly used in 70,80 and 90s era gm cars and trucks. ford followed suit and labled it as mercon 3. if you find fluid marked dex/merc you are fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I understand API & NLGI specs, but that still doesn't address the question (that he clarified)

I'm out...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
this is interesting as I have not cross referenced /studied it. the atf+4 I have used but only in jeeps. I did a few 45rle a few years back. no mas! as to how it compares to dex/merc I do not know but I will read up. I have not needed to, but I find it interesting a little now. it is amazing how many products are out there to do practically the same thing. I read content labels more now than ever. I know contents may vary but .....
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I'm running Valvoline Maxlife in my AOD:

https://shop.valvolineglobal.com/products/multi-vehicle-atf-full-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid

Dex-Merc compatible while still a full synthetic and readily available in bulk at the local Wally World. Never had any issues since the change. I did the full change (drain pan, swap filter, and drain TC via the flexplate hole).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

FordFETruck
If the transmission dipstick says Dexron II like my C6 dipstick does, then Dex/Merc of any reputable brand will work fine. Nobody actually makes Dexron II or III anymore as it's long out of license. Dexron VI is the replacement just like the original Mercon is superseded by Mercon V or even Mercon LV possibly now. I have a 4R70W in my 99 grand marquis, which is an electronic AOD. It calls for Mercon V. I've used NAPA Dex/Merc in my truck, Supertech Mercon V in the grand marquis, Supertech Type F in another C6 and a FX cruise o matic, they all work and shift great. Mercon V is supposed to be fully backwards compatible to Mercon and Dex/Merc, might be a good option otherwise Dex/Merc it is.
1986 F250 351W, C6, 10.25 Semi float 3.55 gear, 250K Miles

Reply | Threaded
|

screaminL
Motorcraft Mercon V ATF Transmission Fluid XT5QMC Case 12 Quarts FOR Ford$94.58 on ebay
thinking about this
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I generally get mine at my local oreillys auto parts.
Reply | Threaded
|

screaminL
thanks I  checked it was almost $2 more & 1/2 hour away
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
doorstep delivery is awful nice. I use it often.