Bearing replacement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bearing replacement

IowaTom
Guys - I've decided to keep my OEM column setup, just replace the upper bearing(s).  I can live without tilt, but don't like the wiggly wheel.
Doing a search, first on this wonderful site, then on You Boob still has me wondering about getting the steering wheel off.  Since my girl's an '85, there's no airbag (except when my wife rides along) so that uncomplicates things, I suppose.  Also, no shift stuff on the column just the ignition and turn signals and that button to release the key.
The videos guys have posted are all later models.  Would sure appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction to get my bearings.  :-)
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bearing replacement

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pulling the steering wheel is easy.  You need a puller, and most of those pullers do steering wheels as well as harmonic balancers.  Here's a search on Amazon for them.  But if I was looking for just a steering wheel puller I'd probably go with the one from Lisle.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by IowaTom
I have a puller and had trouble inserting the bolts.  It worked, but I suspect they did not have the good threads.

Later, I read somewhere (certainly in this wonderful forum), that bolt size for steering wheel puller is 5/16” with fine thread (5/16”-24).
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by IowaTom
if I were better at tech, I could do an entire step by step on this process as I have already taken all the pictures for it. I've done many, both with and without tilt. I will try to talk you through as best as I can and if I can then I will do a new thread. I have posted pics but I do not do it well or often enough. I am fighting my eyesight and that is new to me. glasses don't always help.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Thank you, Guys!

I need my truck tomorrow but maybe later in the day will pull the wheel and see what's up.
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD