Ball joint help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ball joint help

85blueox
I have an 85 F350 4X4, doing the ball joints.
I Bought Moog because they have had good quality, I installed the new joints but the lower spins when I try to torque it, It doesn't spin in the knuckle but the joint internally spins making it impossible to tighten. I replaced it with another and it does the same. I have done many ball joints and never had this happen on quality ball joints. Any suggestions? I have had this happen on an old worn-out joint and had to cut it out but never when installing ball joints.

85 6.9 4 door rusty beast
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ball joint help

Pete Whitstone
How are you tightening them, by hand or by impact wrench? I have had them spin by hand, but when hit with an impact wrench they will tighten.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85blueox
Have you tried putting the trucks weight on the suspension and then tightening the nut?

I'm not sure if your '85 has a D50 TTB or a solid D60 axle.
I know Bill's told me that was a change made during the 1985 model year.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by 85blueox
Not sure if this is related, but I've seen a lot of people reporting issues with moog lately, not sure if the company changed hands or what.  Mevotech is pretty well recommended in the gmt400 world, I've got a set of ball joints and tie rod ends to install on my blazer at some point and they look pretty well made.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And yet when I do a search the first hit is this:  https://www.gmt400.com/threads/long-term-lower-ball-joint-test-moog-vs-mevotech.42171/   
I used all Moog when I had my front axle and steering redone last March.
Also note that they have different lines of parts.  I hope it holds up.  

There's been a LOT of discussion about Chinese metallurgy and quality control. (look at Rene's cam and lifter thread going on right now)
All the big manufacturers source their parts overseas. Timken, SKF, Moog, TRW, whatever..
Everything is made to a price point.

In a perfect world I'd buy Dana/Spicer drive line, steering and suspension components.
Unfortunately they are hard to find and expensive compared to the competition.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
Yeah that's a 5 year old thread.  The stuff I'm talking about is the last couple of years, but I've yet to see how the one's I bought hold up.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, I'm glad to hear they've stepped up!  

I remember when they first came on the scene. It's difficult to get out in front of a bad reputation, no matter how good your products have become.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85blueox
I put the jack right under the lower ball joint, it took all the weight to keep it from spinning but I got it.  I have never had that happen with ball joints before.
85 6.9 4 door rusty beast
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Happy you finally got it tight!  
That's a heck of a predicament to be in...
 Jim,