Another Duraspark II question...81 f150

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Another Duraspark II question...81 f150

Shankles McBullnose
I've been combing the forum and many like it asking the same Duraspark II questions in reference to wiring. Was close to purchasing a ballast resistor but stumbled on something in reference to my particular coil. The previous owner must have just given up and installed a push button ignition to overcome the wiring of the hot in start. Basically I have to turn my key to start and then ignite the truck with the button underneath the steering wheel. For the most part I have the original wiring for now but I want to redo it all for my sanity.

The first question I have is, I have an Edelbrock Max Fire coil, which has an internal resistor of 1.4 ohms, which from my understanding is what the ballast resistor is used for to limit that constant 12v from frying a stock coil. So I don't need another resistor essentially? I think the pink resistance wire may still be present also. I'm trying to eliminate the push button so it just fires from the key. I have a 4 terminal solenoid. I have seen and read many different ways to go about wiring the Duraspark II. I noticed my red/green wire was hooked up to the white wire on the module, and the white/blue to the red, which I also read this line was "backwards" . I guess I'm just trying confirm where I put that bypass so it works solely from the key. I attempted last night and was pretty sure the starter continued to run so that was probably wrong lol
81 F150 460/C6 600 cfm Holley
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Another Duraspark II question...81 f150

81-F150-Explorer
Shankles McBullnose wrote
I noticed my red/green wire was hooked up to the white wire on the module, and the white/blue to the red, which I also read this line was "backwards" .
That is the way it should be wired, even though it is confusing.

Replacement Duraspark II, Motorcraft, and aftermarket modules have these wire colors reversed. It is normal and should not be "corrected."

---------------

It sounds like that your trucks wiring needs some serious tender loving care.  If it was mine, I'd take the main harness out of the truck, unwrap the wiring, and go through each wire, repairing problems as you go. Then re-wrap the harness etc...

That would eliminate any previous owner "screw ups" and any potential wiring problem such as burned insulation, missing resistors, short circuits  etc.

Do the same with the engine harness etc...

A Good wiring diagram and a multimeter is your friend in situations like these.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Another Duraspark II question...81 f150

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Shankles McBullnose
In this view of the he 1981 EVTM we can see how red and white are reversed at connector 321 of the module.
You can also see how the resistor wire is spliced at 401 & 216.

If you want to know if the 1.1 Ohm wire is still intact in the circuit you can remove the key, unplug the DSII module and the feed wire from your coil.
Ohm the harness between the w/lb module wire and the r/lg coil feed.

Matt Wood identified his resistor wire in the top of the dash near the driver's side A pillar.
The thread is titled 'Pre Emptive Fire' or something like that....
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Pre-Emptive-FIRE-tp58908.html

. I forgot to load the pic and link...  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.