Analog To Digital Converter? Help, Please?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Analog To Digital Converter? Help, Please?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd like to clean up the connections to the Sony stereo in Big Blue and need some help.  The issue is the analog audio output from the Garmin GPS unit to the Sony.  Currently I have the audio plugged into the 3.5 mm Aux in jack on the front of the Sony, but would like to plug it into the USB cable that comes off the back of the Sony in order to get away from the cable dangling from the front of the radio.  (See pic below.)

But I realize that the Garmin is providing an analog output and, by definition, the USB expects a digital signal.  So I'm looking for an analog-to-digital converter that has a male 3.5 mm plug on one end and a male USB-A connector on the other.

I called Crutchfield and Ryan pointed me to their Crux CS-USB3.5 Auxiliary Input Adapter, but at $100 he and I agreed it was 'spensive.  So he then suggested the Audio-Technica ATR2x-USB 3.5mm to USB Audio Adapter, which is only $25, but will require a 3.5 mm male/male cable.

So I'm asking if any of you know of a better fit?  Any suggestions?

Shown in the pic below are:

Garmin GPS: Yellow circle

Garmin analog out: Red circle shows the female 3.5 mm jack that is the end of the Garmin output cable.

Analog cable: The red arrow points to the male 3.5 mm plug that is one end of a cable that goes up and plugs into the Sony at the blue circle.

USB input to Sony: The green circle shows a female USB-A connector that goes into the back of the Sony as USB 2.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Analog To Digital Converter? Help, Please?

ratdude747
May not be doable. Most head units like that (at least that I've seen and worked with) use USB for phone/MP3/ipod and USB flash drive use. Not as a "digital" line in (meaning it's looking to read files, not accept a data stream).

Most of my analog line-in audio issues I've had were corrected with good cables and good grounding. While somewhat overpriced, the only line-in cables I've had good luck with (no crackle when rotating plug, etc.) are Monster and Monoprice (the former the only ones that work with Otterbox and Poetic cases without unscrewing part of the connector).

Grounding: in my Bullnose's case, I only had luck once I moved all audio to dedicated power/ground wire straight to the battery (this includes the lighter plug for charging my phone). Radio/CB on/off controlled by a relay.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - That's not the answer I was looking for!    (But thanks.)

I'm sure you are right.  The format is something I didn't think of, so it would need to be in a format that the Sony can accept.  (See below.)

I called audio-technica and left a message asking what format their ATR2x-USB puts out on the USB side.  (I'm assuming it is adhering to the USB protocol standards.)

Looking at the Sony's USB spec's it says:

Corresponding codec:
MP3 (.mp3)
   Bit rate: 8 kbps – 320 kbps (Supports VBR (Variable Bit Rate))
   Sampling rate: 16 kHz – 48 kHz
WMA (.wma)
   Bit rate: 32 kbps – 192 kbps (Supports VBR (Variable Bit Rate))
   Sampling rate: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
AAC (.m4a, .mp4)
   Bit rate: 8 kbps – 320 kbps
   Sampling rate: 11.025 kHz – 48 kHz
WAV (.wav)
   Bit depth: 16 bit
   Sampling rate: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
FLAC (.flac)
   Bit depth: 16 bit, 24 bit
   Sampling rate: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
Supported file system: FAT16, FAT32

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And I forgot to address your other comments.  I'm not having noise problems.  The output of the Garmin comes through nicely with no noise.

I'm just trying to clean up the "look", not the sound.  I don't like the audio cable dangling from the front panel of the Sony and am hoping to connect up through the back panel USB connector.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Tony from audio-technica called.  He doesn't know if it'll work and doesn't have specs on the output, but the device is just digitizing the analog voltage from the mike input and sending it out via USB.

However, he said it might work and recommended that I buy one and give it a try since Amazon will surely take it back.

Thoughts?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I'd still use the front jack, but get a low profile right angle plug on one end, and tuck the wire in neatly behind the radio and run it through the dash down to the floor. You might have to cut a little nick into the radio bezel (not the truck bezel) for the wire to to fit, but it would be neater than a straight plug and wire hanging out front in the open. My 2 cents worth;). I'd prefer Bluetooth if it was an option...it sure makes communication easier.

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Auxiliary-Smartphones-Tablets-Speakers/dp/B00LM0U8I6/ref=asc_df_B00LM0U8I6/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292968454485&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15187493089899618845&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000096&hvtargid=pla-351821156057&th=1
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - I think that is the best solution, and one I hadn't really thought enough about.  I'll bet I can get it through the dash there somewhere and then come down to meet the one from the Garmin.  

I say that because I just got off the phone with Sony and they said that the USB input will work with Apple and Android devices, but not an analog/digital converter.

As for Bluetooth, I wish.  Garmin decided to use the headphones BT profile but Sony picked a different one and the two don't work well together.  Apparently Sony expects there to be a wakeup handshake at the start of each exchange but Garmin doesn't send one, so you get something like "1/4 mile" instead of "Turn right in 1/4 mile".  IOW, there's always something left off the front of each instruction, and it is frequently critical.

So, I just ordered that cable you linked to, Cory.  But I ordered the 3' one instead of the 1.5' one.  Thanks!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
This will be interesting.  

There are different classes of USB devices.  The USB sticks everyone uses belong to the Mass Storage Class, they are basically block storage devices, just like a hard drive.  

I have a feeling the adapter being mentioned is a Audio device class, and that the head unit expects a Mass Storage Device.  Not to be a stick in the mud, but unless your head unit can handle more than a Mass Storage USB, it's probably going to be a no-go.

https://www.usb.org/defined-class-codes

Thank being said, I'd love to be wrong (as happens more often than I'd like to admit!)
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Chris.  It sounds like USB is more complicated than Blue Tooth, and as I've previously said Garmin and Sony chose two different BT profiles.  So it isn't surprising that Sony picked a different class of USB than did the manufacturers of the audio devices, which means they won't communicate with each other.  

I'm glad I gave up and ordered the cable.  At least I know that will work.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Gary, can't something like this do the job? Amazon sells couple of different models. I would be surprised that a USB plug located behind your Sony is in order to plug Mass Storage or any USB stick... No very useful. I also have this in a drawer, I used it to plug an analog amplifier in one USB port of my computer, when transferring old audio tapes to mp3 files:
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - Something like that might work.  But as discussed earlier, Sony said that the USB connector was designed to work with Apple and Android devices, like phones and music players, and it is unlikely that the analog-to-digital converters mimic one of those.  From what little info those manufacturers provide it looks like they just put out a stream of digital signals based on the input from the mike.

So, as Cory suggested, I'm going to take the safe route and use the 3.5 mm cable plugged into the Aux jack and routed past the bezel, behind the radio, and down to the cable from the Garmin.  I know that'll work.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I understand.

But is there a possibility to solder a wire directly inside the Sony case, behind the audio jack and run a 3mm connector to the GPS audio output, hidden under the dash?
This would avoid to see the plugged 3mm wire in the front of the Sony...
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, if I wanted to take the Sony apart I might be able to do that.  But I don't really want to take it apart.  I think/hope I'm going to be happy with the 3.5 mm cable.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Good decision.  I understand there is a certain Dad's truck trying to catch your attention for a while.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, there is.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To finish this thread off, I installed the aux input cable today that Cory recommended.  Sure cleaned things up.  Thanks, Cory!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
To finish this thread off, I installed the aux input cable today that Cory recommended.  Sure cleaned things up.  Thanks, Cory!  
Gary, if that's not the definition of keeping it simple, nothing is eh? That looks as clean as anything could be, and for only a few bucks too. On to the next problem needing a solution huh?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that was both simple and cheap - $7 or so.  But it took ~2 hours to do.  

The radio had to come out of its "bracket" in order to slip the wire through since it had the connectors on it.  But that mean the whole bezel had to come out since the connections on the back of the radio are too short to let the radio come out.  And when the bezel comes out so do the Mission Control switches, and 6 switches have a lot of wiring.

Then when you put things back together you have to make all of the connections but have the radio slid out a little bit since it has to be the last thing to go in.  And to slide it in you need to reach up behind and line up the rear support with the rubber on the rear stud.  Boy, is that a pain, literally!

Whomever designed Mission Control should have to work on it himself!  

But yes, on to the next problem - the wiring to the GMRS radio.  

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That looks great!
Good call Cory
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That worked great! Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona