Amazon Sound Deadener

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Amazon Sound Deadener

Powerman5K
Anyone have any experience with the Amazon Basics sound deadener? I'd like to eventually put deadener in my cab. As with all decisions pricepoint is an important factor. It's not a daily driver but I'd like to be able to have a conversation on the highway without screaming to the person sitting next to me.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Amazon Sound Deadener

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't have any experience with Basics, but I did use their Noico product.  Both the 80 mil sound deadening mat and their Red 150 mil insulation.

I put the mat over the whole of the floor, back wall, ceiling, and inside of the outside door skin, and then I covered the floor, ceiling, and back wall with the insulation.  Worked very well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Honestly, I doubt it's really any different than the other brands out there. There's no way there are 20 different companies producing this stuff; I'm sure there's only a few that are sending it out to all of these retailers with a different name on it.

I went with FatMat RattleTrap on all of my vehicles and have no complaints. As said in the Amazon review, make sure you heat this stuff up because that's what really makes it stick.

There's no need to completely cover everything unless you have some subwoofers that will rattle the sheet metal on your doors loose. Knock around on the sheet metal and find the spots that sound thinner than the rest. That's where you want the sound deadener.

I have most of the interior wrapped in one of my Rangers and do not recommend it because it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces outside noise. With the radio down, emergency vehicles sound like a distant hum until they are right next to me and even then, they're quiet.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I went with a product called Kilmat that I got off Amazon and I absolutely love it! I liked it so much, I ordered some up for my 69 Mustang.

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner