Adding a detached workshop.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adding a detached workshop.

Danny G
We weighed the options of extending the garage and building a small shop behind the garage. It will replace our temp shed and clear out the room in the garage for the work that needs to be done(running out of room for tools). Weighed the options of doing SER to a sub panel or just running off the current panel. Given the short run and panel space decided to go with the latter.

Shop will be skillion style, insulated, cooled and heated. Will be moving the new compressor out there and the generator feedback panel that allows our generator to supply power to the house during an outtage. Plan is to build in a dust collection system as well as putting air filtration in the shop and garage.

Started stubbing out the panel today and running conduit. I need to temporarily power the compressor so we can finish up taking the glued down floor out of the house. We do that, level the concrete and install flooring and we are finally done with the down stairs remodel and I can go ham on the shed/shop.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Adding a detached workshop.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm along for the ride!  It was about 10 years ago that I built, or had built, my shop.  Was an epic effort, but it was WELL worth it.  So I'm sure yours will be as well.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I told my wife we need to buy additional property so I can build a proper shop. This will be modest but needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What is the size of this one?  How tall are the ceilings?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
12 x 16.

Roof will be skillion with 12 ft of ceiling on the high side and 8 feet on the low side(4x12 pitch). We may be shifting the footprint a bit to a 10x18 depending on how the layout fits with the house/garage. The goal is to not be visible from the street. In that case it will shift to nearly a 5x12 pitch. This style will direct the water away from the house/foundation.

I ordered a cement mixer today as we are doing other projects that need lots of mixing (floor leveler, paths, and other pads) so we may actually just drop a concrete pad for this one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Granted it meets NEC fill requirments. I should have went up a size on the conduit because of the bends in the run.

Needless to say I'm glad I had not glued them yet.

For those interested this is the type of kit you need when doing a set up that allows a generator to feedback into the system. It blocks the main breaker when the generator breaker is engaged so you don't kill anyone working on power lines.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wasn't familiar with "skillion", but now I understand.  

And I hadn't seen that lockout approach.  But, having worked for a power company I fully understand the need when you have a generator.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Big slanted one piece lol.

Because two sides effectively butt up against the house and I need to direct water in one specific direction it makes it easier. It also allows for great convection venting along the roof. It also provides a nice overhang for a rain guard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
So the air compressor is temporarily wired up and working.

I'm surprised it's quieter than I thought it would be. About on par with my old kobalt oiless.

Run time was just shy of 6 minutes before the motor cut off. 80 gallons at 155 psi in under 5 minutes is pretty impressive to me.
I took a video but I'll have to upload it to YouTube or something to link it in.

This box is at capacity now. It's organized chaos in there.

If anyone has never seen a 6 gauge wire nut... Here is what they look like.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
https://youtu.be/cFodp0grXew
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
I got $10 that says that after one year you'll wished you'd gone bigger....lol!!!  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
No, it isn't that loud.  I think you are going to be happy.

But I hope you don't have any more wiring to go into that junction box.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
I got $10 that says that after one year you'll wished you'd gone bigger....lol!!!
True, I think that happens alot with many different items.

With that said, HF has those air dryers Gary had mentioned earlier. I have one on the docket. We are almost done with the down stairs floor. We have been struggling with the massive amounts of glue, and grinding the concrete, but are close.

When that is done I will be pouring the pad for the shop. That should be happening by the end of the month.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Exciting times!!!  I remember pouring the slab for the shop.  Man, that was WORK!  But it was also exciting.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Yes it is. My future brother in law and his father are general contractors. I am going to proposition him this week to give me a quote on blowing out the back of my garage to the same length as were the shed would be. This would give me one large connected space.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Between more kids and COVID we ended up pouring a foundation last year and have a hurricane rated metal building 14x16 with 12' sidewalls. I goofed though and in my haste on the blueprint centered th back garage door instead of offset it. We were going to put a door in the back of the garage which lines up with the shop so we could basically drive right through.