Bullnose Forums

AFR Meter Reccommendations

Bruno2

Adam at Core Tuning told me that my AEM meter isn't a good one. Don't remember what they recommend, but Bill has one of them.

As for a dual setup, he said to put the sensor in one bank or the other, but not in the combined stream. One bank will run leaner and it will confuse things.

Adam at Core Tuning told me that my AEM meter isn't a good one. Don't remember what they recommend, but Bill has one of them.

As for a dual setup, he said to put the sensor in one bank or the other, but not in the combined stream. One bank will run leaner and it will confuse things.

I will look tomorrow and give you the information. To use it on duals, run an H pipe between the two sides (it also helps the flow) and put the sensor there. Strange, but maybe it is because I am controlling my mixture with two sensors one for each bank and have the wideband in the H right before where the catalytic converter would go.

I will look tomorrow and give you the information. To use it on duals, run an H pipe between the two sides (it also helps the flow) and put the sensor there. Strange, but maybe it is because I am controlling my mixture with two sensors one for each bank and have the wideband in the H right before where the catalytic converter would go.

Mine is an Inovate unit, one of the older versions but (a) reads accurately (b) has logging capabilities and © integrates well into the tuning program I use, Binary Editor.

Mine is an Inovate unit, one of the older versions but (a) reads accurately (b) has logging capabilities and © integrates well into the tuning program I use, Binary Editor.

That's the brand that Adam at Core Tuning recommended. Said he has a really expensive AFR system and he's tested several brands of gauges. AEM varies a lot in its reading, but the Innovate is accurate.

That's the brand that Adam at Core Tuning recommended. Said he has a really expensive AFR system and he's tested several brands of gauges. AEM varies a lot in its reading, but the Innovate is accurate.

How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-MTX-L-Wideband-Ratio/dp/B004MDT8MW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520892008&sr=8-1&keywords=Innovate+AFR

Mine is an older unit, an LC-1 and LM-1 pair. The LM-1 communicates with BE for datalogging. I guess for a carbureted setup, the analog style display is better for on the fly reading as long as it can also store data, preferably road speed and engine rpm.

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out this unit is loaded with one star reviews. 3 Pages of them on Amazon alone. Apparently this unit malfunctions and the manufacturer has no customer support. People get told to pound sand even within warranty terms.

Here is one page of the one star reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-MTX-L-Wideband-Ratio/product-reviews/B004MDT8MW/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

They all say the same thing. One guy recommended Gary's AEM boasting it has lasted 3 yrs w/o an issue.

Turns out this unit is loaded with one star reviews. 3 Pages of them on Amazon alone. Apparently this unit malfunctions and the manufacturer has no customer support. People get told to pound sand even within warranty terms.

Here is one page of the one star reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-MTX-L-Wideband-Ratio/product-reviews/B004MDT8MW/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

They all say the same thing. One guy recommended Gary's AEM boasting it has lasted 3 yrs w/o an issue.

This is an interesting read and worth the time IMO:

https://10carbest.com/best-wideband-gauges

On a set up like Jr or even the Bronco is range of 10:1 - 20:1 going to be adequate or do I need to spend the money and buy the unit that starts at 8:1 ?

This is an interesting read and worth the time IMO:

https://10carbest.com/best-wideband-gauges

On a set up like Jr or even the Bronco is range of 10:1 - 20:1 going to be adequate or do I need to spend the money and buy the unit that starts at 8:1 ?

I don't think the 10:1 - 20:1 issue will be an issue. If you get lower than 10:1 it'll probably show 10:1, and that is too rich anyway as you don't want anything richer than about 12:1 for full throttle runs. But, Bill may disagree and I'll defer to him on that.

The AEM (30-4110) UEGO Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge is basically the one I have, although mines called Fail Safe so has another function that we won't use as it has to do with boost. Mine has worked well and I plan to use it to tune both Big Blue and Dad's EEC-V systems. However, my understanding of tuning those systems is that you get it in range for the open-loop time, but it then fine tunes that when it goes closed-loop.