AC delete

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC delete

Ifitaintbroke
Not sure I'm in the right sub-forum, but yes you read that right. I'm deleting an AC system that worked completely fine. What I want to know is, has anyone done this before? What would it take to install the floor vents and make them work, and also the climate control switch assembly thing?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC delete

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Ifitaintbroke wrote
yes you read that right. I'm deleting an AC system that worked completely fine.
Are you moving to Quebec?

More seriously, I cannot help you since Big Brother never had AC system.
I live in Quebec.

Pretty sure some forum friends will have the required knowledge to help you.

I suggest that Gary moves your question into a specifically created topic, otherwise it will "disappear" in the «Projects» one.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
That sounds like a good idea. And no I don't plan on moving to Quebec. I have a lot of French Canadian of both sides of my family though. I admit that removing a working air conditioning system in South Georgia is kind of strange.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well, you really need a standard system from one that is being converted to a factory ac.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I'll trade with someone. Everything works, though the condenser did have a little "moisture exposure" (rain).
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm certain that I can come up with a system of heat /vent only but are you sure you want ac delete in s Georgia? I rarely use ac as I love the windows down. all summer. but I have a car for family that will always have ac if I can help it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I really don't use AC. You get used to it. I mainly just want to know if it's possible to add in the floor vents without taking the whole dash out, and how to change out the control thingy. I know how to get it out (done that multiple times) but what all will I need to do the swap? Hopefully someone who has gone the other way might have some input.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
If they are the vents I'm thinking of, you just remove the kick panel and the vent access panel underneath. Make sure to have a shop vac handy.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
What I'd like to do is convert the system over to what the documentation calls the "comfort vent" option.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
im doing one of those too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Do you know where to get the parts? All I can find are the A/C controls.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well to do it right you are going to need to pull the dash out. you will also have a little metal work to do as the factory ac trucks have an additional hole in the firewall for the ductwork. and also, one for heater piping. and the heater core on factory ac trucks is mounted inside the cab where ac delete trucks are mounted under the hood. it is a very different system. how far are you willing to go to be thorough?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
If I can get the parts, I am willing to do whatever I have to. Taking the dash out isn't a huge deal. I am willing to trade my whole system with anyone who is going the other way.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have a couple different trucks being built in the shop right now and I know two or three are getting factory air systems and I think one was a heat only from the factory. I will need to check storage and see if a system is available. if not, there are a couple yards that I deal with that may have it. I'm in central NC though. but hey, it aint Canada!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Just let me know. I'll swap with you if you want. Have the whole system including the engine brackets.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Sorry I am late.
I went from non-AC to factory AC so know a little of this.

The easy part, kick panel vents:
Find a non-AC truck and get the vents from it.
On your truck remove the solid kick panels and the 4 screws holding the metal plates on.
As said get what ever, vacuum? to clean out the dirt that is there and when clean flush with water to make sure it will drain water. That is where the cowl drains to and why all the dirt.
Bolt in the vent panels after you use SEM paint to match your inside color.

Now the hard part AC:
As said the AC (3 large openings) and non-AC (2 large openings) firewalls are different.
They say going from NON to AC you can cut the 3rd opening, the 2 hose holes and think a bolt hole or 2 and bolt the AC box to the firewall.
Me I did not go that way. I took the AC firewall from my parts truck and graphed it in to my truck.
This way all the holes and  openings were in the right place. I have pictures if you need to see them.

Now also note the dashes are also different.
AC had the vents on the front and duct work behind.
I do not know how the comfort vent dash is as I have not had one to look over but the I think the vents are on the front side like AC but dont know other wise?
I also dont know if you can make a NON-AC dash AC by cutting the vents in and adding the duct?
Again my parts truck was factory AC so I just too everything from it.

Same goes for the controls.
AC uses vacuum and 1 cable (for the hot / cold) where the non-AC uses 2 cables.
So when swapping HVAC boxes you need to swap the controls that match.

That brings up something with the controls both AC and non-AC.
I think the AC uses 2 different vacuum controls depending on years IIRC
I also think the cables were different between the years for both systems.
So you need to know what year the system is when swapping in case you need to get parts.

So knowing what I know now and if I were you and did not want AC I would remove everything from under the hood (compressor, brackets, hoses, condenser and drier. plug off the hose openings to the evap coil.
I dont know if you can pull the evap coil and still have the air flow as needed as I did not look into that when I replaced the coil last summer. That is why I said plug them off and leave it.
You can now get air flow thru the dash vents when placed in "vent" as there is no AC now.
I guess it would act like a comfort vent system?

Hope that helped a little
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Thanks for the help. And yes the pictures would be helpful.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Non-AC firewall with the 2 large openings

AC firewall (maroon 3 openings) over the trucks Non-AC firewall

AC firewall, 3 opening, installed before painting

Factory AC HVAC box bolted to the firewall

Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have any of the old parts left over, would you?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I do but I am looking at another project that has been gutted and need it for sorry
Dave ----
Dave G.