AC System

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC System

C.Jett
R12 stay or go?  Installing new system in 1985 F150 4.9 l.  Should I go to R134, pros and cons. C. Jett
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC System

taskswap
I'm no expert but I'm planning to pull/revamp my AC this spring and definitely plan to convert. It's not hard to do, you can often get any remaining R12 drained for free because it's valuable, and it's one less thing to worry about in the future.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I only install r134a. if for no other reason than availability. if a 95 truck can be charged well enough then why not. they are practically the same systems with very minor differences and most of those are interchangeable. besides i swap to serpentine on nearly every build and use 3g alt and newer type compressor also. on a restoration i would keep it as original as possible though. if its a driver then its what ever you need to do. i just put my camper special back together and kept all 1981 ac along with v belts too. but i have not investigated restoring the ac just yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by C.Jett
1985 F 150 4.9 l. Need to know correct ac hoses from Rock Auto.  Suction hose GPD 4811467, it matches my configuration ?  Liquid line 4Seasons 55882, says w/o orifice tube, mine has tube?  Discharge line, GPD or 4Seasons?  55889 does not match my line.  Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
You cant always go by the pictures.
When I did my 81 using a 86 compressor (brings on other hose issues) I think I ordered the hoses on line but sent to a local store.
It worked out good because 1 of the hoses did not fit so was able to return it with out to much issues.

I would say order them local just in case they are wrong.
IIRC mine were listed as factory installed AC or dealer installed or something like that.
Mine is factory AC.
And yes I went with 134a
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by C.Jett
. FourSeasons Suction Hose = Comparison to factory original : metal end of hose at compressor connection is 2 3/4” too long, flexible section of hose is 2 3/4” short, this does not allow hose to set in hangers at firewall or reach dryer connection.  Also, metal ends are alum.. FourSeasons 55882 = Liquid Hose male threads are too small for condenser connection and app. 1 1/2” shorter than original.  GPD 4811420 Discharge Hose is correct fit. All are listed to fit my 1985 F150 4.9 L 2 w/d
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I had to reuse the liquid line but dont remember why?
Maybe it was the end sizes?

Also because I swapped compressor to the newer type I had to find hoses to fit the fittings.
The hose runs across the valve cover as it did not reach the fire holder.
I also had to bend the metal parts to get the hose to clear & fit.

If you got them local you might want to take the new & old hoses in and show them.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i do remember having a few systems that had a valve assembly where the liquid line comes off the condenser. I can't recall what year(s). I do know that it threaded onto the smaller threads on the line from the condenser going to the evaporator. the discharge line from the compressor to the condenser should have a socket size for the 1/2" o ring fitting.