classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC Refresh - What would you do?

Blue_Whale
Greetings,

Getting the AC working on the truck has risen to the top of the priority list.  I went to my local shop to have the AC evacuated. It was void of refrigerant. A leak test was performed, and it passed.  What would you do before refilling the system?

It looks like the previous owner converted it R134. I have one hose that has a bubble that looks like it starting to delaminate. I have not yet definitively confirmed that the compressor is functional.  The clutch did not engage with it just idling, but my understanding is that is to be expected since presumably the pressure switch would never trigger it to engage?

Should I swap out old hoses and o-rings? Throw in a new pressure switch, orifice tube, and compressor so I never have to fool with it again - or is that likely overkill / just throwing away money? What would be your plan of attack?

-Thanks!
1985 F-250 XLT Lariat
2-WD 6.9 IDI
132,000 Miles
Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC Refresh - What would you do?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I pulled everything off and flushed the evaporator and condenser with A/C cleaner and blew them out with air. Replaced all of the o-rings and installed a new compressor, only to find that one hose was delaminating like yours. After replacing that and fixing a bad o-ring that had been installed poorly it has worked very well.

I say that to say that it is complex and even if you replace all of the parts you can have problems. But to me the evaporator and condenser are the least likely to fail, while a compressor may be most likely.

So I’d replace the compressor and the hose, flush the rest, and put new o-rings in.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Blue_Whale
Thanks Gary, that sounds like sage advice.
1985 F-250 XLT Lariat
2-WD 6.9 IDI
132,000 Miles
Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I agree with Gary.  make sure you change the drier as well as it will void the warranty of the compressor if you dont.  Flush everything good.  with the new compressor, use pag46 oil.  i like the one that has ice32 in it.  Remember when re charging, 80% of system capacity is to be filled with 134 , no more then 80%.    I have a complete thread of when i re-did Brutus's ac system on here.  Before you buy your new hoses, you may want to consult my thread for there are many mistakes in the 4 seasons catalog.  I'm going to find the post and link it for you.  you may want to change the fixed orifice tube if so equipped
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Here is the link.  Read over this carefully before you buy anything, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I've did many many hours of research on this.  I do have to say however, given the mistakes in the catalog, i'm happy with my ac system.  Is going on its 3rd season still blowing ice cold.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/4-seasons-AC-hoses-The-Correct-ones-82-thru-86-Factory-AC-td72915.html#a73005

Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new