classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC Compressor: HR980

Papapela
Hi Folks,

Is there a plug and play replacement option for a seized HR980 (dealer installed) in my 1985 Ford f250 4.9 i6 300?

If not, can I find a member who would like to sell an old one they have collecting dust in their garage?

Very Best,
Christopher
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC Compressor: HR980

old55pete
There is no such thing as a plug and play A/C compressor. If the compressor has frozen, that means that it has come apart internaly and has spread parts and shrapnel through out the system.

This means that you need to change the orface tube, the receiver/dryer, and flush out the system to get the shrapnel from the consdinser and the evaporator core, then vacume the system down, add pag oil and Freon.

When it comes to the AC system, there is nothing that is" plug and play"
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
old55pete wrote
There is no such thing as a plug and play A/C compressor. If the compressor has frozen, that means that it has come apart internaly and has spread parts and shrapnel through out the system.

This means that you need to change the orface tube, the receiver/dryer, and flush out the system to get the shrapnel from the consdinser and the evaporator core, then vacume the system down, add pag oil and Freon.

When it comes to the AC system, there is nothing that is" plug and play"
So true you are best to replace everything if you can or do a vary good flushing.
Not knowing what the HR980 compressor looks like I Google it and did not get a good picture but looks to be used on Mustangs 84 - 86 that I had seen.
You can try Ebay or Amazon for it.

What motor is this bolted to? Never mind I see its a 300 six.
Can you post a picture of the compressor and how the dealer mounted it?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Papapela
I was clumsy with my words. What I mean to ask is: is there a compressor that is accepted by the brackets that are on the HB980 bolted to the engine, or, if not, is there a unit/bracket combo that can bolt on to this engine with minimal headache as a replacement.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
From what I am seeing, they were used on 2.3 turbo T-Birds, Ford Ranger pickups, Mustangs and some Mazda cars.

My question would have to be, why would you want to put on a second hand compressor and have the possibility of it failing in a short peroid of time and having to go through this whole thing again? Its kinda like buying a junk yard radiator, yep, its a radiator, but is it any good?

I understand that I don't know anything about your bugget and I understand that money is short and times are hard. I also under stand that R134(Freon) is $14.00 to $21.00 a pound and im pretty sure that you have a 3 + pound system. If you save your money and repair the system right, once, it will serve you for years, trouble free. I redid my system in 2002 and it lasted until a couple of days ago, that's 18 years, but it is up to you.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
FYI this is what the 83> compressor & bracket looks like. not my setup I need the compressor still.

Now for you to use it from what I can see you would need to find the motor brackets.

Now there are 2 different type of brackets for this pump. 1 uses the same P/S pump you have used on pick up's and think cars with a 300 six. the other is used in vans and uses a different P/S pump.

So if you find a van you would need to get all the brackets, AC & P/S, along with the both pumps and hoses. I would not use the AC pump on the truck but as a core for a new / rebuilt one.

And because your pump went bad you either need to replace other parts or flush them really really good.
The replacement condenser is not a bolt in. It is made for the newer trucks so you have to use spacers and longer bolts to get it to bolt up, same for the grille IIRC to clear the condenser.

Hoses and maybe the dryer could be an issue for you being a dealer install.
I know the early (80-82 switch over year IIRC) used York compressors so they have different hoses, dryer and evaporator.

I am have the York year truck but will run the 83> compressor like I pictured so I think I will have to make hoses to fit from what I am leaning.

If I was you I would get another compressor like you have, brackets can be hard to come by so I found out, and either flush or replace the evap / condenser, replace the dryer, and go from there.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Dave, your compressor looks like the compressor on my 86, 5.0. Just wondering out loud if the hoses and such will work on your 4.9.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Dave, Me and my son just pulled his a/c out of his mustang. Not putting it back in. From what I remember it looks like the one in the picture. It still had charge in it and working. Would you be interested in it if he will let it go? Bruce
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
It was an 83 mustang.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Dave disregard previous post, son wants to keep in case he wants to put it back in. Sorry
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
old55pete wrote
Dave, your compressor looks like the compressor on my 86, 5.0. Just wondering out loud if the hoses and such will work on your 4.9.
I don't know what all will work just yet.
From what I have found so far mine (81) started with a York compressor used different hoses than the later years. Now where this comes into play is at the dryer as the later hoses will not fit my dryer and the later dryer will not fit the evaporator so???

I did a search on Car Parts today and found 2 junk yards close that may have a compressor each for $75 and if lucky will try for the hoses & dryer. I will not use the dryer only for test fitting so I know how to go with it, same on the hoses. I do have my old hoses also to try.

So I will have to carry tools with me to work and if I get out early swing by as they are on the way home and see what they have.
With out a compressor with the manifold I cant really move forward.

Bruce moose4x4 wrote
Dave disregard previous post, son wants to keep in case he wants to put it back in. Sorry
It's cool and I under stand completely. The wife keeps telling me to get rid of parts, more so for my 70 AMC Javelin, and I tell her if I need that part and cant find one then what do I do?
I think she under stands it now on the AMC after talking to other wives and hearing the same thing.
Good thing all us guys are on the same page LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Dave, I just looked it up on the members map, Christopher is from Norway, that being said, he may have a hard time even finding anything from other pickups, vans and cars to retrofit a newer or different style compressor in his pickup. I have noted in the past that some of the dealer added AC systems dident have an orface tube, instead it had an expantion valve. He may be stuck with putting the HR980 back on and moving on from there.

As for the hoses on your pickup, where the hoses mount on the compressor, they unbolt with a couple of bolts and can be put on the new compressor. Now, I dont know about where you live, but here we have an AC shop that will custom make you hoses reusing your old fittings. That would mean that you could use the receiver/ dryer for your 81 and the newer Sanden type compressor. Just a thought.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The factory systems were orifice tubes. He can probably find a Sanyo or similar used on a Volvo, but would still need brackets. If he can find someone here willing to check on some aftermarket AC kits, most now use the nice compact compressors.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Danielle
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
If you're still looking for a compressor and it has two loops and one bolt eye like I think yours does (E3DZ-19703-B is the part #) and they're out there like (83, Taurus, Ford Service Part).  But the compressor was used on lots of vehicles.

http://www.acpartsguys.com/ac_compressors/ford_compressors $750.

These weren't good compressor and aren't rebuildable but you can change the shaft seal and here's the webpage for that,

https://donbrownbusparts.com/products/compressor-shaft-seal-kit-hr980-mt2050

The 3 loop version for the 2.3L in Mustangs and the like is part # E8SZ-19703-A (88 and later E stands for 80s 8 (88) S=Thunderbird Z=Ford Service Part

About four years back I called Tecumseh, they made the compressor, only two guys who knew about them still worked there, the rest retired, both said the compressor is junk and can't be opened because the housing is welded.  There's four cylinders in a cross pattern (radial design it the old WWII airplane engines).  There's also lots of info that conflict with what oil to use 500 mineral oil, 100 PAG POE or 46 PAG.  Some manual say 2 ounces  with the rest in the core, accumulator, evap.  Others said drain and replace the exact amount, another sources says drain and replace the amount and add 2 more ounces.  Also some say 85% charge of 134a instead the same amount as R-12.  Others say doesn't matter.  Most say R-134a retrofit won't cool as well as R-12.  Good luck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Danielle - Thanks for the input.  But you've apparently missed the email I sent you asking you to post first in the New Members Start Here folder to introduce yourself.  We request that as the place to start since we have the guidelines there and want everyone to have a chance to see them because we hold everyone to them.

Please let me know that you've read the guidelines.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

noclssgt
This looks like an old post but seems very relevant to what I'm going through with mine. My dad said the ac blew cold for a while when he owned the truck, then stopped. He tried adding freon and it would hardly take anything. He assumes the compressor is just shot so the truck hasn't had ac in years.
It's an aftermarket setup so none of the mechanics here will touch it.
This is the compressor, seems the other 6 digit number changes around a lot?
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Aftermarket or dealer installed?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
true. having ford on the label means it's from an earlier ford maybe. I did not notice what year the truck is. possibly get a picture of the duct box on the firewall also and we should be able to see if it is a factory or dealer system. even the 1983 that I'm restoring had a different type of compressor than that. ac systems are basically simple but can be finicky or even complicated to get correct. it is not just a case of add more freon. to make it more complicated, when added to a car/truck engine it becomes a "variable response" which is magnified by a variable environment. epa regulations changed who and how freon can be bought, sold, transported and installed, due to it being labeled harmful to the air and ozone. oddly enough they had to use transport across state lines to get regulation passed.  
another variable item known to complicate things is the thermostatic expansion valve (txv) it works like a variable jet to control the flow of freon to the evaporator core (inside coil). the compressor creates pressure and the txv regulates it. another is the desiccant canister (filter-drier) also known as an accumulator. when a system sits too long empty, the desiccant absorbs moisture until it is saturated then must be replaced. any system which leaks down to the point of zero pressure can begin to draw in moisture from the air and condense it in the desiccant.
Reply | Threaded
|

ARM Ashby
I found them on E Bay.They range from $200 to 800 for new ones. I bough a nos one that lasted one day. I am in the process of going to a Sanden. they are not a direct bolt on for my ranger. I will up date this thread when I get information back from Sanden. I have seen mounting kits for your application on Nostalgic Air website.
Reply | Threaded
|

ARM Ashby
Up date on HR980 AC compressor replacement.
  I have found up grade for the HR980 comp. The FS6 style compressor is what was used in factory Ford dealer installed units. Their are numerous manufacture's of this compressor. I have ordered one from 4Seasons (58111). I will have to modify my mounting brackets to make it fit. This comp. is listed for use on F series trucks for multiple years. I am using this on my 83 Ranger with a 2.3l. I will up date when I receive the unit.