86 bronco door hinges

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

86 bronco door hinges

El Chapo
It appears I need to replace or repair the drivers side door hinges it door not stay fully open and the lower hinge is loose. My question is should I replace them or is there a way to repair? I don’t have a problem replacing if that’s necessary so, I would appreciate suggestions and the specifics as to what to purchase. Thx
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 86 bronco door hinges

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Usually just adding bushings and replacing the pins on your hinges does the trick.  Kits like these from Summit.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
these are bad about breaking the hold open spring riveted to the top hinge. I say bad but it's not really. these are old trucks after all. there is a 1.5x2.5 leaf spring riveted to the inner section of the hinge and the forward bolt goes through it as well. there is a replacement available from Dorman. or you can source a new upper hinge. I'm certain that I have some models in stock, but it may be a couple weeks before I get organized. I'm going to be selling some "bits" here and there but only through this site. I'm not a retailer and not going into that business, but if I have surplus from the trucks I restore, I will sell to members here.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I had a thought. I don't know the year of the bronco. early 80s models had the "s" spring where the later 85/86 had the leaf. I do not remember the year break specifically. the same hinges were carried on from then through 1996. 97 on the 250.
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Thank you both, I’m leaning towards replacement used or new not in a big rush so if one comes up just name your price.
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
ok I have done a little rummaging through boxes. I do have door hinges. I do have a steering wheel set up for cruise control and I do have the passenger side wheel arch trim. although I do not have the horizontal section about a foot long.  none of these are in new condition. I consider them repair parts not restoration quality. there are vehicles I would use them on and vehicles I would not. I have not cleaned or repaired them.  I'm going to be at the street rod nationals in KY for the next week so feel free to contact me by email if you like and I'm happy to look into shipping costs etc. when I get home if we work out a deal.