'86 Tailgate

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'86 Tailgate

ZanyZane
It's exhausting trying to find the red trim piece.  I was wondering if under all the trim stuff does it actually says F O R D embossed like on the '78s?

And while I'm thinking about it, were those "tie downs" from the factory, or an afterthought?

Thanks,
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0L EFI 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '86 Tailgate

salans7
It does say Ford (Reproduction tailgates will not), but there are about 8 or 10 holes drilled into the tailgate for the panel, and they will be noticeable.

Tie-Downs were a factory option.
Reply | Threaded
|

ZanyZane
Okay great I'll just do the tailgate trim delete!

So, the tie downs were just on the tailgate?

Thanks for the info!
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0L EFI 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the tie downs could also be had along the sides.
there are about 8-10 holes as said before on the outer sheet they are about 9/16" but on the inner they are about 3/8". this has to do with the "stand offs" molded into the trim brackets with a gasket on one side. there are also two 1/4" sized holes at the edges by the taillights, visible by opening the tailgate. there will be an acorn nut, 7/16 wrench I believe. when that is all removed you will find the oem tailgate with holes punched/ drilled. I usually weld in discs and "correct this" when a traditional look is what I want. some will take a carriage bolt and a short pipe to keep from crushing the two panels together (they are about 3/4" apart)  
the welding part is not really a first timer task. or it can be a real learning experience. know thy self.
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
The box tie downs were a DEALER option. Dealers would sell them loose, or install them. There were no templates, they just got installed where they looked good to the guy doing the job!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by ZanyZane
ZanyZane wrote
It's exhausting trying to find the red trim piece.  I was wondering if under all the trim stuff does it actually says F O R D embossed like on the '78s?

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/tailgate/tailgates/e5tz-99425a34-rp-tailgate-finish-panel-lens

Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ZanyZane
Your truck has the factory box rails, so the "hooks" would be redundant on the sides.

The tie down hooks were both a Dealer and a Factory Option. Like the factory optioned mirrors, and radio antenna mast, they were not installed at the factory due to shipping issues. They were placed in a box on the seat and were installed at the dealer when delivered.

The "8" foot bed had 8 hooks. Three on each side, and two on the tailgate.
The "6" foot bed had 6 hooks. Two on each side, and two on the tailgate.

EDIT: ......................

That reproduction reflective piece is a great way to restore an otherwise good aluminum panel.

The reflective piece was not offered separate from Ford.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.