classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

86 F150 fuel line disconnect???

Bo Frodo
disconnect with blue line

I have been unable to disconnect this fuel line, is it that difficult? I bought a set of colored plastic disconnect tools. Maybe it has been sitting up  so long that it is gummed up stuck. I need a suggestion. I sprayed a little WD 40 onto the round spring and no success there getting it disconnected.
Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 86 F150 fuel line disconnect???

Steve83
Banned User
Bo Frodo wrote
I have been unable to disconnect this fuel line, is it that difficult?
Yes.  The problem is varnish (evaporating gas) between the 2 O-rings in the fat part of the fitting to the Right (Left in your pic) of the garter spring (the widest part of the fitting), inside where the tool fits on.  This shows those O-rings:

DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING onto them other than mildly-soapy water, or clean motor oil.  Any penetrating oil (including what's in WD40) can swell the O-rings making them tighter.  The only way to get them apart is to pull.  Try to pull directly in-line with the hard side of the fitting (the fuel rail side), but if you can't get to it, you might have to remove the fuel rail from the intake.

Once they're apart, gently remove the O-rings & wash the metal in carb/EFI cleaner or Berryman's B12 (maybe SeaFoam) to remove the fuel deposits.  Apply clean motor oil before assembly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bo Frodo
Would I have to take a throttle body off and then the intake first and order to get to the fuel rail fitting?
Steve83 wrote
Bo Frodo wrote
I have been unable to disconnect this fuel line, is it that difficult?
Yes.  The problem is varnish (evaporating gas) between the 2 O-rings in the fat part of the fitting to the Right (Left in your pic) of the garter spring (the widest part of the fitting), inside where the tool fits on.  This shows those O-rings:

DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING onto them other than mildly-soapy water, or clean motor oil.  Any penetrating oil (including what's in WD40) can swell the O-rings making them tighter.  The only way to get them apart is to pull.  Try to pull directly in-line with the hard side of the fitting (the fuel rail side), but if you can't get to it, you might have to remove the fuel rail from the intake.

Once they're apart, gently remove the O-rings & wash the metal in carb/EFI cleaner or Berryman's B12 (maybe SeaFoam) to remove the fuel deposits.  Apply clean motor oil before assembly.

Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Bo Frodo wrote
Would I have to take a throttle body off and then the intake first and order to get to the fuel rail fitting?
I'm not sure what you're asking.  Your pic shows the fuel rail fitting - that's what the line is stuck in.  The TB doesn't have to come off to remove the plenum.  This is the common (later) design of the fuel rail:

This shows both designs:

Yours looks like the common design.