85/86 lariat tail gate panel reflector removal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

85/86 lariat tail gate panel reflector removal

Fryeken
As I get older I’ve become a little more cautious or look before I leap.

I just got in a lariat tailgate panel with a usable reflector that I plan to swap over to my existing panel that lost the reflector at some point.

Any removal advice to be able to reuse the plastic “buttons” or just grind them off and glue the reflector on the old panel?

The new panel has some character dings that the old panel doesn’t have- otherwise this would be easy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 85/86 lariat tail gate panel reflector removal

kramttocs
Administrator
Mine is stored up on a shelf so can't verify but the plastic buttons you are talking about are pins that were melted flat, right? No way to reuse that style that I could imagine.
Still assuming it's that style, I would see about taking a Dremel to the head to remove it, then see if it's big enough to drill and tap. If so you could bolt it on with flat washers. If that doesn't work you could see about epoxying your own head on it. The benefit being that you could do the same grinding to remove it if needed in the future. Or you could always go the adhesive route and forego the pins altogether

Flying blind so disregard if the 'buttons' aren't what I am thinking of
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 85/86 lariat tail gate panel reflector removal

Fryeken
Yes, that’s it. It has the plastic tabs that were melted to secure it. I took a picture but it didn’t load.