classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

84 Timing Issue

Roncobbusc
Thanks for adding me - new to group 1984 F150 XLT 351W 2bbl auto 4x4

Think I have a timing issue, but I've never messed around with electronic ignition before. Truck starts fine with good idle, but after couple minutes idle is very high, drive it for about 20 minutes and turn it off, she won't start until it cools off for about 20 mins. If I retard the timing a touch, will the ECM just walk it back up?

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 84 Timing Issue

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!  Glad you joined.  

But you may have missed the email I sent you asking you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then make your first post an introduction there.

Not to worry, that's fairly common.  But the first reason we do that is to make sure you've had a chance to read the guidelines, which are posted there.  We hold everyone to those guidelines so it is important that you read them.  Have you?

The other reason we do that is because we are a community and want to get to know everyone.  So we like to find out a bit about you, including where you live, etc.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Roncobbusc
I'm guessing that your ICM isn't one of the ones with the retard function for starting, and that you have a lot of initial advance dialed in.

You said "she won't start until it cools off for about 20 mins".  But what does it do?  Spin and no fire?  Or kick back when you try to spin it?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Roncobbusc
It will spin but it drags - almost like trying to start with a dying battery. But once it cools off, it'll fire up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It sounds like it is the starter then.  The bushings on starters wear and then the armature touches the field when the starter is hot and expands.  That causes them to slow down and to pull extra current.  That causes them to get hotter and expand more, which.....

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
While hot and the starter drags, with the key off, pull the ignition coil wire and try to start. If the engine spins normally [faster], then the dragging is due to too much advance in the timing.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Roncobbusc
Can you get a parts store or shop to measure the current draw on the hot starter? That will prove if it is the starter. If it is, I would highly recommend looking into a later model (90s) starter for your engine/transmission combination. Ford changed to a PMGR (Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction) starter that cranks much better with less current.

No need to buy an overpriced "performance" starter when the factory already has one. There is a small bit of rewiring needed at the relay on the inner fender.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
lets not brush over the high idle. it is also a symptom of advanced timing. get a timing light on it. that is step one. what is it running at? then what does it run at with advance undone? this being an 84 it should have very basic fuel and ignition.