classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
124 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'81 flareside 4x4 project

nmchuck
Just picked up this 1981 flareside, going to be a long road but I believe it this rig is worth the effort.

It has the 351M, previous owner told me the water just dumped out.  Of course the first thing I did was to stick a hose in the radiator to see... sure enough it just ran out.  Luckily my BIL is pretty savvy and he helped me figure out two freeze plugs were out.  Unfortunately, they were the two under the motor mounts (which are bad too).  Once we got the motor mounts out, the freeze plugs were laying on top of them, installed two new ones and hoped for the best.  

Long story short, we fired it up after swapping the nastiest carb I have encountered with another.  No leaks and the block seems to be ok!  Runs ok, tranny shifts and the world is a better place.

The truck has what I'm guessing to be a 4" lift, had two broken leafs on the rear.  Swapped in a pair of springs from the boneyard, and now it's sitting level again.  The lift, with the 33" tire make this a pretty tall rig, not sure if I am going to keep it.

Also found a front clip to replace the wrecked fenders and core support, that will be the next heavy lift.  Best I can tell from decoding the VIN is this started out as a brown styleside truck.  Somewhere along the way a PO must have found a deal on original flareside bed, doors, and fenders.  Theystill have the pinstriping Ford put on some of these trucks back in the day.  

I'll try to keep this updated as we go, and you can bet I'll be asking for advice along the way.
Chuck
1981 flareside 4x4, C6, 351M
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '81 flareside 4x4 project

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Subscribed.  Glad you got the engine going and that you are finding good body parts.  They are hard to come by so you are doing well.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome to F.O.G (Flare side Owners Group) may name is Dave and I have a problem

I wonder if the cab has been swapped onto a different frame?
On the top of the right frame rail some where between where the ALT is and the firewall meets the frame should be a VIN and that should match the door post sticker & front glass VIN's

Good luck with the project I will be following
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

nmchuck
Good to know I fit into the FOG!

I think the cab is original, but like you suggest, until I can get the VIN off the frame to compare it's hard to know for sure.  

I did clean up the edelbrock carb it came with and put a kit in it today, seems to be running ok although I really haven't driven it much since I have not gotten down to register it yet.

The gas and carb were green, never seen anything like it.  The built-up green goo was everywhere and very tough to get off.  Not sure if gas can grow algae, but I swear it looked just like it.  Wish I had taken a picture, looked like something out of an old sci-fi movie.

Chuck
Reply | Threaded
|

nmchuck
In reply to this post by nmchuck
Finally had some time today to get back to work on the rig.  Started off by draining out all of the old fuel, pretty simple since the truck has an electric fuel pump.  The old fuel was pretty bad, was honey colored and smelled awful.  Added five gallons of fresh gas and test ran it around the yard.  Still runs a bit rough but is actually not running too bad.

Moved on and pulled the front clip off with some help.  Discovered that both ends of the frame horns were bent much worse than I thought.  We had a forklift available where the truck is at and got them back into position without too much trouble.

The clip I found at the local wrecking yard is from an 86 model, there were slight differences with the radiator mount, but overall, we were able to get it lined up and on pretty well.  The original hood was not lining up well, so we tried another hood they had on hand which seems to work better.  Was odd as we could not see any apparent damage to the original hood.  Pretty happy with the results, will have to work on the gaps and alignment a bit more, but I think it work out well.

I have a straight bumper and headlight bezel I plan to get put on this week, should start to look a little more presentable once I get them installed.  

I also am starting to think about the axle ratios.  The truck has 3.00 gears and with the 33" tires on it now seems to be a bit sluggish.  Will have to drive it more after getting it titled to see how it does on the road.  I also thinking about removing some or all of the lift and going to a smaller tire.  This truck sits very high and I'm not sure jumping in and out of this thing will be much fun.  I do admit that it looks good though!

Chuck
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it is starting to look like a truck, and a nice one at that.  Good job on the frame horns.  They apparently bend fairly easily as I had to bend one of mine as well.

On the ratios, you can use the calculator at Documentation/Driveline/Calculator to see what your RPMs will be at any given speed, gear ratio, and tire size.  But I'd say that 3.00's and 33" tires would be a bad combo with any engine.  So if you want to stay with the 33's I'd consider 3.50's.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

nmchuck
Little more progress to report out, got the passenger side headlight bezel and a new to me grill in place today.

Really starting to look better!  Funny part is that it has the brown cab, blue and tan front fenders, and beat up white hood, black doors and black patina'd bed!  

Since the front fenders and original cab have the XLT trim, trying to decide if it will look goofy keeping them since there was no trim on a flareside bed.  Please share your thoughts, I saw a black flareside project on here that started off the same, didn't look too bad to me, just different.

Truck now has a miss on one cylinder, hoping it is a simple ignition issue... more to come.
Chuck
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chuck - It really is coming together!  And your pics are great as well.

As for the trim, if the fenders and doors have it then it might be ok.  But it seems odd to me not to have it on the bed - even though there's no place for it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Only people that know flare sides know they did not come with moldings but it is your truck and if you like the look with the moldings who are we to say other wise

It's your truck build it YOUR WAY
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
 i would like to see the process of completing the trim all the way around on a flareside . this might be interesting.
Reply | Threaded
|

nmchuck
Maybe I could experiment a with trim on the bed going since it is going to be a while before paint. If I can find some trim in a wrecking yard, maybe I could see if there is a way.  

Have plenty of time to ponder, will be a while before paint.

Here are a couple more pics with the bumper on, and the interior.  hoping to get this to my place this week so I can work on it a little closer to home.

Chuck
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you come up with a neat way to add the trim that would be cool.  

By the way, the picture orientation issue is due to how you are holding the camera and the dumb software on this site.  In the olden days everyone knew how to hold their cameras 'cause it was obvious.  But then smart phones came along and it wasn't obvious so the phones/cameras started embedding the orientation of the camera in the metadata of the picture.  And software on computers then re-orients the pictures before displaying.

This forum's software doesn't have the smarts built in it, so you have two choices.  One is to re-orient the picture before you post using some software like Photoshop.  That's what I do and, at the same time, I crop and reduce the size of the file.  Or, remember to hold the camera so the pics come out right, and on my iPhone X that is with the on/off button on top.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
[...] so you have two choices.  One is to re-orient the picture before you post using some software like Photoshop.  That's what I do and, at the same time, I crop and reduce the size of the file.  Or, remember to hold the camera so the pics come out right, and on my iPhone X that is with the on/off button on top.
Gary, there is a third method.  No need for an external software, just using the smartphone.
A-Using the smart phone, edit the picture and force it to rotate (no matter which direction).  Save the modifications.
B-Edit the picture a second time, rotating it in the good way, save it again.

In the thread, simply replace the bad a picture by the good one.
Done!
Now it will appear on the forum correctly oriented.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jein.  (Sorry, that's German slang for yes and no.)  I'm pretty sure that if the picture's name doesn't change you won't get a change when you try to upload it again to this forum.  Once it has its mitts on that name the picture won't change.  So when you save it the 2nd time just change the name a bit.

But otherwise, yes that will work.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Jein. (Sorry, that's German slang for yes and no.)  I'm pretty sure that if the picture's name doesn't change you won't get a change when you try to upload it again
Lol!

We'll, nothing as a scientific experiment to decide between the yes or no.  I'll try it in a specific post.  Just for fun.
We shall know the truth!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

nmchuck
I have to admit, I tried... and failed to use some of these suggestions.  I will try to orient the phone the same each time from this point forward.  That being said, I'm going to post a response that will drive everyone bonkers with whacked out photos.  Hopefully the last one now that I know this forum is a little persnickitty about photos!  
Chuck
Reply | Threaded
|

nmchuck
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Be warned- mis aligned photos in this post, sorry, but I just couldn't get them correct.  Hopefully this is the last of them and I'll get them take correct from here on!

I am still attempting to figure this old rig out.  Here is a pic of the tag on the door-

Here is a picture of a tag on the firewall, can anyone tell me how to decode this?  I see the paint codes but the rest are a mystery.   Best I can tell this was a two-tone brown with the Victoria(?) style two tone.

Question, does anyone know what this wiring connector is for that is on the top side of the glove box?    Here is a closer look-

I believe this truck had two tanks originally when built, but the rear tank was removed when they put the flare side bed on.  The original selector switch is now a hardware store toggle switch, and only seems to alter the gauge.  Found this on the driver's side floorboard though, and I'm fairly sure it was an added on manual switch-

And finally, here is a pic showing the height of the tailgate, just a little under 5' tall!  still debating if I want to remove the lift.

Making slow progress, but sure learning a bunch.
Chuck
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Chuck,

That red plug above the glove box plugs into a little square module almost the exact same size as the plug itself. It is the buzzer for the door open and seat belts or whatever...

The tag on the firewall is the "buck tag" with information on the truck. There is a duplicate tag on the underside of the bed if the bed is original. It was used to identify the cab and bed on the assembly line, etc. There's not really any useful info on there for us that isn't already on the certification label on the cab. If you look at the certification label you'll see some of the same digits/codes as what is on the buck tag.

According to your certification label, your truck was built with a 351m, C6 auto, and 9" rear with 3.00 gears. Paint codes look like 5Q and 8A? Tu-tone Dark Brown Metallic and Dark Chamois Metallic? Bench seat with cloth/vinyl, styleside bed. Built at the Twin Cities plant and originally slated for delivery to Denver, Co.

I love these Flaresides...you're making me miss mine a lot...lol.

If the pictures won't self-correct, I open them in MS Paint and save as JPEG, and that fixes them...if you're on a PC. I don't know how to do it on a mobile phone. I read this forum on my phone all the time, but I usually only post pics when on my laptop.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

nmchuck
Thanks for fixing my mess up!  I'll try the paint program, that sounds simple enough that I could master it.

Odds are good the red connector doesn't get re-attached, kind of nice having the nanny tuned off.  I bet you do miss the flaresides you have had, those were great looking rigs.  Your current project is pretty sweet though!

Chuck
Reply | Threaded
|

nmchuck
Moved on to figuring out the engine miss. New plugs and wires went in, old plugs definitely need helpAC5E663C-9EBD-4C25-BA67-080B174A198C.jpeg

Unfortunately #2 cylinder still not firing. Ran a compression check of all cylinders ranged from 112 to 122 psi except #2. This read 0 a couple of times, then 35, back to zero then 125. Basically all over the place.

Pulled the valve cover tonight and found this, notice something missing?
9A973503-237C-4886-B100-CF70159C6D54.jpeg

Chuck
1234 ... 7