81 F150....Meet Frankenstein

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

81 F150....Meet Frankenstein

Shankles McBullnose
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-to-Bullnose-Family-could-use-all-of-your-help-tp128401.html

Above is the intro to my project. I'll include some of the current photos to make it a bit easier to follow...

I bought this bullnose about a month ago with the intention of making it a project/daily driver. My only conditions when I bought it was that I pay less than $5000, it ran, and it had a v8...Everything after that I could tackle down the road.  A 4x4 would have been a bonus but not a deal breaker...I got it for $3500 and not only did it have a v8 the PO swapped it for a 460 with c6 trans from 78 Lincoln continental with about 64000 miles on it.

I am still exploring everything about this truck but it is pretty apparent the old owner kind of pieced a lot of this build together with whatever he had on hand. The one thing I love about trucks like this is it's super easy to work on.

I have A LOT of plans for this truck...and I really want to take my time because it is something I want to have for a long time. I also want to eventually be able to use it to do some camping/traveling with my family. Pulling a camper for 3 or just camping supplies.

The glaring issues currently that I've established is that, because of the current headers, the frame has been cut into and there is a small crack in the frame where its been cut. The wire harness is in shambles. I even see Romex house wire used....I would like to redo the harness...

For the most part I will be doing as much of the work myself as I can. I have always been a tinkerer and I just want to make sure I do everything right the first time. Also, I'm looking to keep most of the project original to the era (AC system, interior, etc.) with a bit of newer twists, updated lighting painting)

I do love that the truck is mostly mechanical. (Fuel pump, DuraSpark II system, Holley Carb)

So far I have only replaced the in bed plastic fuel tank and fuel tubing with an undermount 38 gallon rear tank and nylon tubing. I'll add the second tank once I figure out how I'm going to rework the exhaust system. It sounds okay but it kinda falls flat for me when accelerating...but I'm also convinced the trans may not be shifting...its hard to tell....Well there's much more to tell but if there's any questions I try and check daily to learn all I can. Appreciate the help
81 F150 460/C6 600 cfm Holley
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 81 F150....Meet Frankenstein

mat in tn
im guessing that is the "shifter" coming through the floor? and the cluster is interesting as well. tdid you say gas tank in the bed?  not under the bed ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
Yea. I do like the floor shifter but its makeshift, and the link is very loose. Just one bolt. And PO removed both tanks and selector, added a plastic tank in the bed because tanks got damaged. I bought a new rear tank and mounted it underneath
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
in the one picture it looks as if you bought the 38 gallon tank
Reply | Threaded
|

Shankles McBullnose
Yea I did, the rationale being for future trips in it it will allow me to drive more between fill ups. No clue what what mpg is as of yet though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shankles McBullnose wrote
No clue what what mpg is as of yet though.
The old saying of "A 460 will pass anything but a gas station" is still pretty much true.  However, with a 38 gallon tank you might sneak past two stations if they are close together.  

Seriously though, a 460/ZF5 combo can get as high as 13 MPG, which is what I'm getting on Big Blue on highway trips.  But with a C6 you'll lose a mile or two per gallon, and with a carb a bit more depending on how well it is tuned.  So 10 MPG is probably a reasonable goal if the tuning is spot on.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that sounds about right. very comparable to a 300 with a c6 if you are trying to keep up with od vehicles on the highway. Tuning, volume/rpm and load are the only real factors that we can adjust without making major changes.