classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
107 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 460 starter issue

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
They are probably L&L swap mounts and Windsor frame perches.

Do you have a pic?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
no, I do not have any pictures but that does sound plausible. I will look up l&l and see. it a direction to go at least. but this is a 7.5 chassis.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, you need the mounts and heat shield Bill already showed...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
actually no. I have the same parts that bill showed and are in decent condition. I just looked through the l&l catalog and these are not what I had seen, also not anything that we don't make. building hotrods and restomods we are always making parts and mounts. I know that I can true this alignment up but I would rather use a ford part if I just have something missing. as is often the case I am doing corrective work from who knows how many prior.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe swap mounts are the WTG?
They will definitely have the engine sitting higher, which would point the tranny down.

How did the fan center in the shroud, before you yanked the engine?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by mat in tn
another example. it is a d1 block. a d9 flywheel. a missing separator plate. an oil filter access port torched through the "k" member.
she's a Beute Clark!
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
shroud?????
and the fan blade was facing forward. correct rotation yet cupped toward the rad.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, you better hope there's a D9 crank in there and a pork chop behind the balancer!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
nice round balancer! and the bearings had a very unique "pressure point" style war pattern. this engine shook for a few reasons, and not just the two weak, and one dead cylinder. I am covering the bases to get this straightened out. the correct flywheel is a big part of that. four of the pistons dropped broken rings on the floor as soon as I slipped them from their bores. walls showed that a heavily rusted engine had been fired back to life and thrown in this truck for a quick sale. block is now .030 over. i should be picking it up this week.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're not a moron like the last guy.  
I'm certain you'll make it right. 👍

If there's a way I can help, just LMK
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
very appreciated! I want to do this correctly. and I do not mind asking for advice or tips when outside my norm. and I don't mind sharing when I can help too.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well i have searched a few yards and i found two bbf separator plates. both installed and only available with an assembly. I may be getting the plasma cutter out.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I may have an extra one.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
See what I've said to CJett about Send-Cut-Send..
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
one for a t19?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It could be done.

The only issue I see is the curved louver.
But, that could be cut on the rear and sides, then stitched on the fold.

This makes it easy to bend.
Then you weld up the little slots and it's crazy stiff.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have already designed in my head how to fab a lower cover and mate it to a flat plate in case I need to make one of adapt an auto plate. which is my real dilemma. how can I know if the starter is indexed the same on an auto vs the t19? cutting the starter hole is the most important part here. and I don't even have one as a template. I can loft out a blueprint/plan, but I still have an unknown. and it may just come down to precise measuring and good math. me like math.haha.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The auto and manual starters are in the same place (flywheel and ring gear are same diameter, plate # is the same for both)
Bill has one.
Maybe he can photo it on a grid, or better yet, put it on a piece of card stock and spray paint over it lightly. 👂
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i can buy one from summit for a 460 but it is a flat one. I'm happy to go that route and just fab the lower add on "chin cover". I just hope to know before I buy. time saved along with gas saved gets real.