classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

460 Swap Motor Mounts and Headers Install

OldBlue1981
Morning All,

Been a bit of a long week working on the truck and wanted to share a little information.

Great motor mount post found here  

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/460-Swap-Mounts-Size-Does-Matter-tp106598.html

Hedman Headers 89348 fit really well!!, but...   Someone had notched the frame back in the 80's for reasons unknown.  I had a welder come out and fix the crack on the frame that developed but found having this notch still there during install was nice but doesn't appear needed.  However, #2 tube was really close to the frame and I made the decision to put a ever so small notch there to clear it.  As instructions do call out, you must lift the engine 2" or so to install, so be prepared to do that.  Also, since the starter is now pretty much in jail, I'd recommend installing a new one during the process.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 460 Swap Motor Mounts and Headers Install

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks good, almost like it came that way! One item, on the 1983-86 trucks with a 460, there is a small heat shield on the passenger side that goes on the engine side of the AC harness under the casing.

If you find you are getting heat damage, let me know, I will have to find it as I no longer need it on Darth since I am using a later front harness system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 460 Swap Motor Mounts and Headers Install

OldBlue1981
I've made the decision to forgo the A/C at this time, 2/65 until the time is right to bring it back.  Hell, I spent 4 hours today just getting the dipstick tube to fit a way I liked it :-(

Old Blue was my high school ride.  Purchased it in 91, graduated in 93, and have owned it since the first day I drove it.  Will add to the project thread when I get a little farther down the line.

Been a frustrating, but even more enjoyable time working on it.  Can't wait to be rolling down the highway SOON!!!