3D Printer Phone Holder.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

3D Printer Phone Holder.

Powerman5K
Hey folks. I've been looking for a way to secure my phone while driving and decided to custom make a holder to go in the little nook on the right on the driver.

Being an High School Engineering teacher, I naturally used it as a class design challenge. Students drew it using Fusion360 then we 3D printed the file.

After printing it, I sprayed it with Flex Seal. This gave it a mat black look but more importantly, a protective rubber coating.

The end result is this. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I am able to use my phone for navigation especially since my new radio has Bluetooth. It does not interfere with me while driving and gives that little nook purpose for once!

If anyone is interested in the file, let me know and I'll share it with you.

1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 3D Printer Phone Holder.

81-F150-Explorer
That's pretty cool. Good job.

I'm sure people would find that really useful.

But I use that nook to hold my cassette tapes.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
Very 😎
β€œFind what you love and let it kill you.”
― Charles Bukowski

1980 F100 Custom, Big Six, bench and 3 on the tree. My bare bones play truck.
2012 VW TDI Sportwagen daily driver.

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Very clever!  If you could send me the file so that I could print a copy, that'd be great!  Contact me via a DM in the forum and I'll send you my email address.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
I use mine for a TPMS receiver.

But I agree, still pretty cool.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like it!  And I think you can upload the file in this thread.  But we need to create a place to put 3D printing files so people don't have to comb through threads to find them.  Suggestions?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
New_New_Car_Holder_v1.stl

Above is the file. Let me know if it worked. It is an STL file so it should load straight into a "slicer" of your choosing.

I made it big enough to accommodate a variety of phones and cases. The slot in the middle is for a charging cable. It has worked well for me. I made a prototype out of cardboard and used it for a couple months before I printed this one. It worked just as well if you don't have access to a printer. If you spray painted the cardboard black, it would look a little better.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
That is pretty cool I just throw my phone on the seat.
If I am using it for Google Maps I turn the volume up al the way and just glance at it for the next turn.

I use my cubby for the garage door opener.
I dont want to put dents in the new visor and others can see it up there and grab it.
Cant really see it in the hole unless you look.

At the cruse in Saturday we got talking about cup holders as the older cars & trucks dont have any.
A car club member that has a 72 VW super bug removed the ash tray cut down a 2x4 to fit in the slot for the tray and had 2 cup holders screwed to the end. Even had a little pocket between the holders for something maybe pens? Painted black and it fit right in, could slide it out if need be.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I got it downloaded, thanks!  I don't have a printer but I know someone who does
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Our cup depressions on the back of the glove box isn't that great is it,
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
81-F150-Explorer wrote
Our cup depressions on the back of the glove box isn't that great is it,

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I think this topic belongs under Resources and How To's
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree, Jim.

Powerman5K - Ok to move it there?

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Wherever it can do the most good! Glad I could finally contribute something to the group!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, it is now in Resources & How-To's.  But I didn't put it in the "Interior" folder.  Should I?  Should we reorganize?

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K

The holder has bent in the heat of the cab. This causes the phone to fall forward on acceleration. Hold off on printing this until I can come up with a redesign. I'll post with the new solution.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Is it currently printed in PLA, or ABS?
Chris