351W Intake Manifold

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

351W Intake Manifold

86 1/2 Brutus
I decided on what type of intake I want to get.  Dual Plane , low rise.  I've been looking around the net and see that the one I need runs generally in the 300 plus buck range.   With my intake being the one that has the water channel across the back, my choices are narrowed.  I see there is one on ebay that is unbranded that will fit for 174 bucks.  I'm Leary about this and am wondering if it is a china knock off.
This is kind of new ground for me here, as far as, I've never bought an aftermarket intake.   From what i can tell from looking, alot of these things with various names look the same to me, like there is a mystery manufacturer stamping other names on the product.   Does anyone have any experience with these?
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 351W Intake Manifold

mat in tn
the answer to most of these questions is yes. I have used a lot of different intakes and do use one of these "knock offs" occasionally. and with good results too. the 302/5.0 has possibly the largest variety out there short of the sbc. but the 351w/5.8 has a few also. currently I have a knock off on a 5.0 in a bronco and an Edelbrock performer on a 5.0 in my current build "lefty". whether it's a 5.0 or5.8 there are still a couple points to keep in mind. aside from the factory cast iron manifold, an aluminum "low rise" will most likely be the best bolt on swap period when it comes to everything fitting and lining up. all engines are whether by design or default, purpose-built engines. all too often we disturb this purpose when we modify. we improve one thing and don't expect the cost in performance somewhere else. plan it all out well and keep all components in sync with each other.
a couple physical points.
the output heater hose needs to clear the distributor and, on some models, may be close, even closer if you convert to hei dist.
if you chose a high rise then the runners may also crowd the dist and again, more on an hei
some models use the crossover water jacket at the rear of the heads, and some do not but unless I were using ports off of that I would not concern myself too much with it. it is not really in the water flow. the coolant only flows to the radiator through the front ports. if you are eliminating some of the other components like temp controlled vacuum switches that are in the rear water crossover then you might be thinking you need plugs anyway.
it does seem like there are about a half dozen intakes that are the same nameless units sold by a vast number of ebay type sellers. some may not but I have had good results using some of these. I am a buy USA first guy, but it is not always good business to wait for or not finish your work due to price and availability. Different thread! but keep in mind to give credit where credit is due. edelbrock performer is the standard and has the best history so far as an improved auminum driveability intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
This was discussed a bit here in this thread:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/351W-quot-street-quot-intakes-td108324.html

I have been running that weiand for well over a year and am very satisfied with it.

This weekend I hope to finish my EFI conversion. When I do, the intake and the carb will both be available, if you are interested.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Thank you so much for that info.  I'm probably going to go with the unbranded one from ebay.
Is definately going to be low rise.  I've heard and read that High rise is not very good for vacuum devices such as the power brake boost and cruise control, but please correct me if i'm wrong, like i mentioned I am new to this aluminum intake thing.  I've put them on other peoples vehicles, just not my own.  The last one I did was a Weined ( i know i spelled that wrong:-)  on a 289 and was quite simple.  I'm not really worried about instellation, but rather quality, and from what you guys are saying, these knock off's aren't bad, so i think i'll take the gamble.  Money being very very tight and have to get this going as soon as possible.  Brutus is giving trouble and is currently our only mode of transportation.  but fear not, I got a boat load of questions about that.
Thanks again
you guys are the best
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
This is the intake in question
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175406595972
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Rise doesn't effect vacuum very much.
Port volume might to some extent.
The biggest factor is the cam timing and overlap that fits with most of the taller manifolds (tunnel rams being an extreme example)
In fact I have a friend that used to run a dual qual tunnel ram on his 429 Ranchero.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I'm sure that was a sight, would have loved to seen that, but then again, Nick would tell me, " i want that" :-)   The engine does have a pretty hefty cam  .571 lift
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, I had a few people tell me that (a) it won't be driveable (b) they will never open all the way and (c) it will drink gas.
(a) very driveable, nice throttle modulation
(b) 3500 rpm, you could hear and feel the secondaries come in
(c) 22 mpg at 70 mph, only 18 at the national 55 mph speed limit

Those are two 465 cfm Holley 4160 carbs turned with the primary barrels to the rear. Front carb is primary and has the choke.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That must have been I little screamer Bill.  
Progressive linkage too?

I'd ask how much overlap or what the LSA is, but that's obviously not a drag car.

Johnnie's Ranchero wasn't too good on the street because 2/3 of your forward view was blocked by the intake and carbs sticking through the hood.
His love for Cleveland's led him to Pantera's and I haven't really seen him since he got the 2nd one.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I remember when i was young, real young, my dad had a 66 t bird with a 428 and dual quads.  We used to take family trips to New York in it from DC.  This was right when they changed the speed limit from 70 to 55.  When it went down to 55, that bird drank some gas on those trips.
Nick and George
Owned since new