classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

351 ho power

Eriksf250
This post was updated on .
Good evening everyone, on my 86 F250, I'm in the process of having my exhaust almost ready to be done. With everything being stock, other than a 650 edelbrock, long tube headers, 2.5" dual exhaust with xpipe and having the timing at 12° would anyone happen to have a guess as to how much horsepower and torque I should have?  Once I get it back I'd like to test drive it and feel if it has the power that it should have. If stock is 210 hp/305 ft/lbs, I'm going to guess 240 hp/ 350 ft/lbs? Thank you very much!
Erik 86 F-250 Heavy Duty, Standard Cab Long Bed, 2wd, 351HO, T18, Sterling 10.25, 4.10 open rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 351 ho power

Machspeed
Administrator
I've done all those things to my truck and while they helped substancially and it runs good, it's still a dog. These are low compression smog motors that need awakening with the help of different heads, cam and even compression. My 69 Mach 1 came with a 351 W 2v and that motor was so much more than the 351 HO in my 86 Bullnose. I don't think I'd even want to take a guess at HP or Torque, but it's nothing to brag about.  

I will tell you this though, if that engine in your truck is stock internals, that carb is probably a little big for it!  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
a few years ago, I revived a customer's 86 351ho. timing chain, carb rebuild, fuel system upgrades and tune up. I felt that this truck ran amazing as an 86 and he was never happy. I realized he was spoiled by his new dodge ram turbo diesel, and I had to explain the whole "antique" thing to him. I was able to do a couple tweaking things and wake it up, but these were NOT built for speed, hp or economy. these are old school engines with epa shackles around the ankles. however, they don't leave my shop that way. I follow guidelines but look for every hp that I can realistically find. when that is the goal! I'm building one for mpg right now so hp numbers are not the goal, but efficient power is.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Eriksf250
Eriksf250 wrote
Good evening everyone, on my 86 F250, I'm in the process of having my exhaust almost ready to be done. With everything being stock, other than a 650 edelbrock, long tube headers, 2.5" dual exhaust with xpipe and having the timing at 12° would anyone happen to have a guess as to how much horsepower and torque I should have?  Once I get it back I'd like to test drive it and feel if it has the power that it should have. If stock is 210 hp/305 ft/lbs, I'm going to guess 240 hp/ 350 ft/lbs? Thank you very much!
210 hp stock rating with long tube headers with retarding the timing back to 12* initial with 2 1/2" dual exhaust I would probably estimate it around 215 - 220 hp on a good day.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2