300 motor mount

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

300 motor mount

Tarheel Blue
Yesterdays task of dropping my rebuilt engine into the hole went very smoothly and without incident.

That is until I went install the nuts to secure the mounts to the perches. The left mount matches the angle of the perch and mates up perfectly. The right side mount is at an angle that is much different than the perch.
From rear looking forward

Both mounts are new and have been checked multiple times for correct part #, year range, application, etc. Perches are original from the factory as installed for the I6

Any ideas as to what might be going on? It’s got to be something simple but I’m not coming up with any good ideas.

Cheers
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 300 motor mount

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's really weird.  
I'm no 300 expert, so I've never encountered this before, but I'm subscribing so I can learn.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
do you still have the removed mounts to inspect for angle differences? I have a set from an 83 that I am rebuilding still on the shelf that I could check.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Yes, in fact I have three sets. The factory original set (1985), the set off of the rebuilt engine (1995) and a new set from Rock Auto.
The ‘85 and ‘95 are the same angle. I’m in the process of removing the Rock Auto mount now to check its angle.

One bit of info that I believe will help us get to the bottom of this.

The original (1985) mount has delaminated. The rubber separated from the metal bracket. I can imagine that if I were to torque down the nut on the Rock Auto mount, that it would cause that mount to delaminate also.
Additional info, the angle of the perch is 45 deg +/- from horizontal. The angle of the ‘85 and ‘95 mounts are also 45 deg.

I need to get that Rock Auto mount off and on the bench for comparison. Back in a few.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I took off the mount that was purchased from Rock Auto (Pioneer 602635) and installed the factory mount from the ‘95.

The mount looks fine for its age and will probably never get around to trying to get my hands on a NOS one, but word of caution for those buying aftermarket.

Check the angle of the new mount. The factory perch sits @ 45 deg +/-  The mount from Pioneer is closer to 57 deg.

Pioneer WILL be getting a nasty-gram from me!
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Next up, install of the 4R70W!
Install of my new torque converter went very well. All the right clunks, face of mounting pads are correct distance from face of case, etc. Now I just need to get everything aligned and run the bolts to the block.

Wish me luck.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Big6John
Good luck on your project! That engine looks beautiful 👍
1986 f150 std cab long bed, 4.9L 300 inline 6, 4spd, 53k miles, 2 barrel carb, EFI split exhaust manifolds, HEI distributor, and much more to come!
Pack Rat a 1985 f150 inline 6 4spd, a/c,cruise, rusty parts truck
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
Keep an eye on ebay; I bought NOS Ford ones for mine off of there last year.  They may still have some on there.
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Now I see what you were talking of but I also knew that when talking not I see it on my laptop.

Good to hear you got a "fix" for the problem.

Is it just that 1 RA mount that is off or both of them?

I know RA has different level / price / options for parts listed are the mounts done that way also or do they only offer the 1 option?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Thanks big6john and pig!

Dave, the issue seems to be isolated to the RH mount. The left aligns perfectly and now that I’ve put back into use the ‘95 RH mount, it aligns also, all is good.

One of the good things about Rock Auto is that I was able to get from their site all of my orders over the years. Therefore I was able to determine which brand and part# I had purchased a long time ago. I don’t know what all was offered at the time, however currently there are 6 different brands of mounts. Like many other aftermarket parts, there is probably only 1 manufacturer and all 6 simply put them in their own box.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Kurt
I did read you used the 95 mount and all was good.
That is even better than the 85 being the 85 was bad and would have needed to be changed out if it was fit too.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
4R70W is now bolted to the 4.9, yay!
Converter studs came through the flex plate just fine.
Next up is dealing with getting the cross member in place.
If anyone has put this trans behind this engine, can you give me any tips?
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well, I was lucky enough to have a few cross members on hand, so I just selected until I got a fit. I may be able to get the number from it though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Matt, I’d like to take you up on your offer. Let me get my ducks in a row to tell/show you what I have and what I think I need.

I’ll put together some pics and dims and send them in a bit.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I should be working in my home shop Thursday so I will try to crawl under that truck and look for a part number.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Since this discussion has moved on to the rear mount. I’ve started a new thread titled 4R70W Cross Member. Let’s continue over there.
Kurt K