3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
181 messages Options
1234 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

reamer
Stay tuned for results.....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!  Can't wait!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
cool
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
In reply to this post by reamer
Here's the finished product.
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
That's awesome! It lookes just like my original one!
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1989 F-250HD XLT Lariat Super Cab
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That looks great! Seems like there is a texture to it that may need cleaned up but the shape and lettering came out very nice! What is the cost to have that made?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is that their picture, or have you gotten it?  It does look good!  Lets take really good, close-up pics of our bezels when we get them so we can compare.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:24 PM, reamer [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's the finished product.
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed.
Photo is of the anchor, U.S.S. Arizona.....

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/3-D-printer-Fog-light-bezel-has-been-made-and-shipped-tp5503p6086.html
To start a new topic under Bullnose Enthusiasts, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Are you afraid my Bezel is bigger than yours?
That shot was from the printer, it should be delivered Friday....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I sure hope they are exactly the same size.    But, I'm wanting to see which process yields the best result.  

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
HI Gary
How did the Bezel come out????
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ron - Good question. I've attached 8 pics of the Shapeways bezel.  It is better looking than what the pics imply.  I took them in harsh sunlight coming in at an angle, and that highlighted the roughness that exists.  But, the first one is probably the most representative of what it really looks like.

An observation is that the tops of the letters and the top of the bead are slightly rough, and might not look good when painted.  However, I think we could improve on that significantly by making the letters slightly taller such that they are even with the top of the bead, and then using a file or maybe mounted sandpaper to smooth/flatten both the bead and the tops of the letters.  I'll have to check on the drawing, but it looks like there's maybe .010" of daylight, at most, between the letters and the top of the bead now, so it won't take much.

Otherwise, I'm pleased.  I love that the 1/4-28 nuts go on absolutely perfectly.  They aren't tight and they aren't loose.  They are just perfect.  But, the overall texture of the bezel could be improved.  And I think using Shapeways HP Nylon would smooth things up.  However, I'll need to work with Shapeways to see what needs to be done to the lettering to allow use of HP Nylon.

But, I'd really love to see your comments.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  Please.  I'd like to get this "right", and your thoughts are needed.  Are the letters "right"?  Are the in the correct places?  etc?

I would like to see the project get finished in a grand way, so am happy to make another run or two in order to smooth things out and get them right.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The first pics that were shown seemed to be too rough, as you point out. I thought about sanding the edges too, some 600 wet on a piece of glass for example. I have a question about the way these are made . . do we know for sure it is totally solid beneath the surface? Sanding might uncover more "porosity" ??
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - The drawing doesn’t have any voids, so the printing shouldn’t. But I guess it might have a glitch here and there. However, I’m willing to try - if we think that is the thing to do.

Thoughts on that?  What about the lettering?  Is it correct?  Anything else?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Guys - I forgot how UGLY posts via email are, and I didn't realize how long that post was.  So I cleaned my previous post up quite a bit and put the pictures in the post itself.  Hope that helps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, the shape file serms really good but that texture is obnoxious. Seems like there was some discussion before about finishing the pieces in an acetone vapor bath to melt the roughness. My only concern then would be what will it do to the crispness of the letters? I think the plan of increasing the letter height (thickness)  is a good one, that way the bead and letters can be flat sanded on a sanding block. Does shapeway offer vapor bath? Alternately, I wonder if a product like SEM sand free would soften the plastic and reduce the roughness? Maybe even a coat of the thick self-leveling primer? As a last resort I have skills as a jewler, and given the right tools I could hand finish it to perfection... but obviously that handwork would be time consuming and not something I would be willing to do for mass production. It would be up to the individual to do said finish work. I hope this post does not come across as negative, I am very excited that this is now a possibility. Well done!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Shapeways does do some post production finishing to its products.

Some shapes need a support structure (much like a casting needs sprues) cut away.

I think they do -or can do- vibratory burnishing and polishing using various media.

Acetone vapor works very well to "polish" ABS and PLA filament pieces, but I was under the impression that this bezel was laser sintered nylon.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
"HP Nylon" just means using their *more expensive* HP printer.

Go back and read their product specs....

I think you will find the HP is only a viable option when it is needed for its larger build cube.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Jonathan - I'll contact Shapeways to see how to get a better finish.  Maybe they offer finishing, via acetone or whatever, but I don't see it when looking at their site.

However, I think the best solution is to go with another material instead of the "Strong & Flexible" that was used.  A couple that look promising are shown below in comparison to Strong & Flexible::

Strong & Flexible: This nylon plastic is our most versatile material suggested for both functional and decorative products.

HP Nylon: This nylon plastic has excellent material properties and is recommended for mechanical and functional products.

High Definition Acrylate: This black acrylic plastic is suitable for intricate details and some handling.

Having said that, the one I have doesn't look that bad.  As said, I put it in the worst possible lighting conditions to take the pics, and when holding it in my hand in normal conditions it looks much better.

However, there is one thing that I've noticed that no one has mentioned - the letters "AMP" of FOG LAMPS appear to be smaller than the rest.  Does anyone else see that?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - It is lazer sintered nylon, so Acetone wouldn't smooth it.  But, maybe the polishing or burnishing would work.  I'll ask.

As for the HP nylon, that's a good point about the size.  So, maybe the HD Acrylate?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It is hard for me to see that on my phone.
Although zoomed way in it does look like the letters are not distinct from one another.

I wonder what would happen if you attempted to wet sand the raised area with fine paper stuck down to a slightly resilient surface?
This might polish up the flats while not leaving sharp corners.
 Jim,
1234 ... 10