2wd suspension upgrade

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2wd suspension upgrade

Michael Cesaro
I’m looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2wd 83 f150, don’t really want to lift more than maybe 1.5 inches, but would like a smoother ride.
Thanks
1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 2wd suspension upgrade

mat in tn
why are you wanting to lift it? not that its a bad thing. i have my first truck still and its a 2wd with a rancho 4" kit. feels perfect to me. 1 1/2" might just level it up.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
How bad can it ride?
I think my 81 F100 Flare Side, read short wheel base truck, rides pretty smooth and the SWB trucks are the hardest riding of the 2 wheel bases.

What shocks, springs and tire pressure are you running?
I am running the stock factory springs (4700 GVWR) front 2350 lb & rear 2545 lb.
Got KYB shocks on all 4 corners only 3 years old and I drive the truck.
I have not checked the tire PSI but I never have a heavy load so no need to pump them to max as that gives a harder ride.

Oh and I have a full poly bushing kit up front, factory rubber in the rear.

Do you have sway bars front or rear?
It has been posted that makes them ride ruffer on the 250 trucks so may be the same on the 150 trucks?
I dont have sway bars on my truck.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dad’s truck had sway bars and rode very well- after I pulled the oversized shocks off and put Monroematics on. Huge difference.

Dad always liked the biggest piston in a shock he could find, and he had them on the truck. I didn’t realize how much difference the made, but it was huge.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI