1985 Diesel tachometer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1985 Diesel tachometer

James1997
Hey guys! New to the forum but not new to the bullnose style Ford trucks. I grew up in my dad's '86 Bronco and have missed it since the day it was sold. I just recently acquired my own '85 F250 with the 6.9L IDI. I'm beginning the "mild" restoration and wanted to make some small upgrades. I see the engine bay still has the factory harness for the tachometer sensor, but no sensor in the pump housing, and no tach in the dash. I also see my dash cluster does not have the correct electronic board sheet to be compatible with a factory tachometer. Is there any way I can use a factory tach and wire it in to a factory sensor without too much modification? Any help or suggestions would be amazing. Thanks!
James1997
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1985 Diesel tachometer

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

As for the tach question, here in the NMSH folder isn't the best place to ask as not as many people will see it as if you asked in the main part of the forum.  But if your truck has gauges and not idiot lights then I think you can add a tach fairly easily.  The wiring should be there and if you add the sensor you can plug the harness into it.

But on the tach end you have two choices.  The easiest is to buy the right instrument cluster or just the printed circuit that supports the tach and swap it out.  But since there are only three wires it would be relatively easy to hardwire it yourself.  The connections to the tach are on the studs with which the tach mounts, and they are labeled on the case.  So you can put ring-tongue terminals under the nuts and wire back to the wiring harness.  But I'd put a connector in there as getting everything hooked up in the close confines of the instrument panel might not be fun.  Or make the wires long and be able to connect to the tach and then install the cluster.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by James1997
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by James1997
Welcome to the group!

As you noticed, 85/86 diesels had the tach option and are wired for it. Adding one is plug and play and can be done in about 30 minutes with no modifications. You need:

-The tach sensor for the IP housing.

-Tach circuit film for the cluster (note that diesel and gas truck circuit films are the same 81-86).

-Tachometer… (note that you need the 4500 rpm 6.9 IDI gauge with the yellow and red zones on the gauge face. Gas engine tachs or diesel tachs from a medium duty truck will not read correctly off of the tooth count signal from the IP gear).

As Gary pointed out a cluster swap + IP gear sensor is easier than adding the film and gauge to your cluster but either will work.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jonathan!  Very helpful information.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI